Tech's athletic facilities extend to the water where the Engineers helped make the Charles River the birthplace of intercollegiate sailing and a historic site for intercollegiate crew. The Walter C. Wood Sailing Pavilion is the oldest university sailing pavilion in the world, and was named after then-sailing master and MIT graduate of the Class of 1917, who helped spawn the MIT Nautical Association. The building was completed in 1935, and currently houses over 110 sailboats, including Tech Dinghy's, Rhodes-19's, Flying Juniors, Lasers, Mistral Surfboards, and a Hobie-18 catamaran. Aleida, a 38-foot Hinckley cruising yacht donated in 1982 by Albert Hopeman is also part of the MIT fleet.
HOME OF MIT'S COED AND WOMEN'S SAILING TEAMS
LOCATION ON CAMPUS (Building 51)