- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (duPont Athletic Center)
- The Lead: In the home-opening competition of the season for the MIT rifle team, the Engineers dropped an overall 4410-4201 final to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy on Saturday at the duPont Athletic Center.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Bears owned a 2199-2087 advantage in the small bore competition, along with a 2211-2114 margin in the air rifle section.
- Coast Guard's Alexandra Harrington was the top performer in the aggregate scoring portion of the event, finishing with 1122 points.
- Senior Kelly Mathesius (Aurora, Ill.) had the top aggregate score for the Engineers as she was fifth with a total of 1064. Senior Kevin Ng (Coral Springs, Fla.) followed closely behind in seventh place with a total of 1059 points.
- Ng was the top MIT performer in the small bore competition with a total of 535 points to place fourth. Mathesius was fifth at 532 and was joined in the top 10 by freshman Alex Laiman (Haverfordwest, Great Britain) in ninth with 518 points.
- In air rifle, Mathesius was seventh with 532 points, followed by eighth by junior William Caruso (Toms River, N.J.) with an identical overall score of 532.
- MIT returns to action on Saturday, October 29th as the Engineers host John Jay and Wentworth in a tri-match that begins at 9 a.m. at the duPont Athletic Center rifle range.