MIT Squash Loses Third Straight To Middlebury, 7-2
Nov. 22, 2005
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - After dropping the first two contests of the season to Wesleyan and Bates by a combined score of 17-1, the MIT squash team (0-3) hosted Middlebury College seeking improvement last Saturday. However, the Engineers only found similar results, losing 7-2.
"MIT must beat teams like Middlebury to improve on its number 32 national ranking," said head coach Jim Taylor.
The first four matches with Middlebury were hotly contested, as MIT and Middlebury each took two. At No. 1, junior Duncan Ma fell in four sets but played his best squash of the three match weekend. At No. 2, captain Nadeem Mazen fell in five sets. Junior Ashwin Deshpande, at No. 3, pulled out a hard fought five set match.
Freshman Justin Stilwell, playing the same consistent squash he had played all weekend, won in three sets. Stilwell was behind 7-2 in the first game but was able to come back and win 10-8. He won games two and three, 9-1 and 9-2.
The performance of squash players five through ten was stronger than in the first two matches, but Middlebury won each of these by 3-0 scores.
MIT's next opponent is a strong Colby team. The match is scheduled for 4:00 p.m. on Sunday, December 4.
Middlebury vs. MIT (11/19)
Final Team Score: Middlebury 7, MIT 2
1. J.P. Sartdi (Mid) def. Duncan Ma (MIT), 9-2, 4-9, 9-5, 9-1
2. Gordon McMorriss (Mid) def. Nadeem Mazen (MIT), 9-4, 9-7, 4-9, 5-9, 9-4
3. Ashwin Deshpande (MIT) def. Jeff Wielard (Mid), 9-2, 9-1, 1-9, 1-9, 9-7
4. Justin Stilwell (MIT) def. Alex Nadas (Mid), 10-9, 9-1, 9-2
5. Will Carroll (Mid) def. Chris Buenrostro (MIT), 9-4, 9-1, 9-7
6. Ben Broad (Mid) def. Jehan DeFonseka (MIT), 9-1, 9-3, 9-2
7. Brand Avruhim (Mid) def. Saad Zaheer (MIT), 9-2, 9-0, 9-2
10. Rob Muncro (Mid) def. Balaji Sridhar (MIT), 9-0, 9-0, 9-0