- Score: WPI 12, MIT 4
- Records: MIT (13-9-1, 7-6 NEWMAC); WPI (22-8, 12-3 NEWMAC)
- Location: Northboro, Mass. (NE Baseball Complex)
- The Lead: On Tuesday afternoon at the New England Baseball Complex, the MIT baseball team dropped a 12-4 final to WPI in NEWMAC Conference action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- WPI took a 4-0 lead in the second as the Engineers used a two-RBI double to right by Evan Lacroix and a two-run homer to left by David Larson for the early advantage. WPI extended the lead out to 11-0, including a three-run seventh, before MIT got on the board.
- Freshman Matt Johnston (Portola Valley, Calif.) scored in the eighth with an unearned run, followed by a three-run, two-out homer in the ninth to account for the 12-4 final. Freshman Tony Rice (Colorado Springs, Colo.) and junior Austin Filiere (Chandler, Ariz.) walked earlier in the inning and came home on the homer, which was Johnston's third of the season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Johnston led MIT with a 3-for-5 performance as he scored a pair of runs and had three runs batted in, while sophomore Jared Schwait (Boca Raton, Fla.) was 2-for-4 in the leadoff spot. Austin Lindner was one of six WPI players with multiple hits as he finished the game 4-for-5.
- Senior pitcher David Hesslink (San Diego, Calif.) took the loss for MIT to fall to 4-3 overall. Over four innings, he allowed nine hits with six runs (five earned), two walks and one strikeout. WPI starter Steven D'Agostino improved to 2-1 with the win, scattering five hits over seven innings with three walks and eight strikeouts.
- MIT is back in action on Wednesday, April 19th as the Engineers host Roger Williams for a 3:30 p.m. start.