- Event: EARC Sprints
- Location: Lake Quinsigamond (Worcester, Mass.)
- The Lead: Battling cold, windy, and rainy conditions at the EARC Sprints on Sunday, the MIT men's heavyweight crew team placed fifth in the Varsity 8 Third Level Final while the 2V8 was sixth in its Third Level Final.
HOW IT HAPPENED – V8:
- Despite finishing last in its six-boat heat, MIT's time of 6:02.516 was good enough to put it in the fourth lane for the Third Level Final. When the Engineers returned to the water in the afternoon, they rowed their fastest time of the year (5:54.704), crossing the finish line just 2.4 seconds behind Holy Cross and 5.5 seconds in front of Rutgers. As a result, Tech ranked fifth in its final and 17th overall.
HOW IT HAPPENED – 2V8:
- After a challenging outing in its heat that produced a time of 6:22.737, MIT's 2V8 earned a spot in the Third Level Final. Penn (5:45.602), Navy (5:48.095), and Georgetown (6:02.955) captured the top three spots, however, the remaining three boats found themselves in a battle to the finish. Holy Cross posted a time of 6:06.465, followed by Rutgers (6:07.110), and the Engineers (6:07.558).
- MIT travels to Lake Natoma in Sacramento, Calif. for the three-day IRA National Championship beginning on Friday, June 2.