- Score: U.S. Merchant Marine Academy 18, MIT 12
- Records: MIT (0-1); Merchant Marine (1-0)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Roberts Field at Steinbrenner Stadium)
- The Lead: The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy jumped out to a 6-1 lead after the first quarter and maintained a comfortable cushion en route to an 18-12 victory over MIT in the season-opener for both men's lacrosse teams on Sunday. Nick Treon racked up a game-high eight points on five goals and three assists for the Mariners while senior Graham Davis (Crofton, Md.) posted three goals and an assist for the Engineers.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Pat Coll opened the scoring after three minutes elapsed as Michael Rodriguez increased Merchant Marine's lead a minute later. Freshman Nicolas Gianni (Henderson, Nev.) set up senior Mitch Turley (Westfield, Ind.) to put MIT on the board at the 10:43 mark. The visitors replied with a man-up strike by Treon which ignited a stretch of seven unanswered goals that created a 9-1 advantage with 9:13 remaining in the second quarter. Coll registered four goals during the run while Treon contributed two goals and two assists.
- Freshman Gavin Vandenberg (Elmhurst, Ill.) ended the Engineers' scoring drought courtesy of an extra-man goal with 4:13 on the clock. Nick Roros reestablished the Mariners' eight-goal cushion but a solo effort by sophomore Jack Strachan (Moresville, N.C.) made the score 10-3 heading into halftime.
- MIT carried the momentum into the third quarter as it put together a four-goal burst during the first eight minutes. Davis bookended the rally while Strachan and freshman Mark Heatzig (Boca Raton, Fla.) found the back of the net following feeds from Turley and senior David Klee (East Greenbush, N.Y.), respectively. A defensive battle ensued until Treon completed the hat trick with just under four minutes left. Davis quickly completed his own hat trick at the 2:43 mark, bringing the hosts within three (11-8). Exactly 30 seconds later Jack Renard connected on a pass by Roros while Coll increased Merchant Marine's lead in a span of 20 seconds.
- Back-to-back Treon markers extended the margin to 15-8 two minutes into the fourth quarter. Gianni was a factor in the Engineers' next two goals as he had an unassisted tally and then set up Turley for a man-up strike with 8:30 left to play. The score remained unchanged during the next four minutes until a goal by the Mariners' Tucker Dodson led to a 3-1 spurt that put the game out of reach.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Gianni and Turley both finished with two goals and two assists as Strachan posted two goals and one assist. Klee notched three groundballs and two caused turnovers while junior Jacob Stein (Vienna, Va.) collected four groundballs. Senior Christian Jamison (Huntington, N.Y.) produced two caused turnovers as sophomore Joseph Vasile (Webster, N.Y) was 6-of-13 in faceoffs and picked up three groundballs. In net, junior Alexander Lynch (Roswell, Ga.) registered 16 saves and two groundballs.
- Coll amassed six goals and four groundballs while Roros totaled two goals and two assists. Nick Vinberg and Kyle Orton both generated five groundballs as Vinberg added three caused turnovers. Kyle Buser won 16 of 27 faceoff attempts and scooped up eight groundballs. In net, Brandon Kane earned 12 saves and three groundballs in 52 minutes of action. Shannon Byrne II made one stop while playing the first eight minutes of the third quarter.
- Merchant Marine ended the day with a 53-46 advantage in shots, including a 21-5 margin in the first quarter. It also had the upper hand in groundballs (42-34) and won 22 of 34 faceoffs.
- This was the first meeting between both programs.
- MIT will travel to UMass Boston on Tuesday, March 6 for a 4:30 p.m. contest while Merchant Marine will visit Southern Virginia University the following day for a 7:00 p.m. start.