Men's Soccer Wraps up CSI Fall Classic with Win Against Brooklyn

Senior Matthew Monheit
Senior Matthew Monheit

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. - On the second and final day of the CSI Fall Classic, the MIT men's soccer team walked away with its second win of the weekend following a 4-1 win over Brooklyn College on the College of Staten Island's campus on Sunday afternoon. The Engineers are now 2-0 for the 2013 season, which opened yesterday afternoon with a 6-1 defeat of Staten Island.

Sophomore Austin Freel (San Diego, Calif.), who scored the game-winning goal at yesterday's game against the Dolphins, started the game off with a dangerous shot at the Bridges' net at the eight minute mark that had to be saved by goalkeeper Kamil Ostrowski. A minute and a half later, classmate Sean Bingham (Garden City, N.Y.) also made an attempt at a goal but was thwarted by Ostrowski.

At the 29 minute mark, two minutes after being substituted into the game, sophomore Stephen Rodan (Potomac, Md.) scored a rebound goal after his initial shot was blocked by the goalie. The goal, which was the first of his collegiate career, was assisted by sophomore Chester Chambers (Columbia, Md.). With just two minutes left in the first period, following a pass from sophomore Fernando Cunha (Ormond Beach, Fla.), junior Nikolas Albarran (Buffalo, N.Y.) fired the ball from near the corner cross and into the box, which hit off the keeper and into the net.

With a 2-0 lead heading into the second period, the Engineers looked to further the lead, scoring two more goals less than 15 minutes into the half. At 56:16, senior Matthew Monheit (Abington, Pa.) sent the ball flying into the back of the net, after the ball, initially kicked by junior Bokil Lopez-Pineda (Eagan, Minn.), was knocked out of the box. Two minutes later, Freel buried the ball into the back of the net on a free kick, giving MIT a 4-0 advantage.

In the following 20 minutes, the Engineers took eight shots at the net, half of which were saved by the keeper. At 79:51, Peterson Petit-Frere scored the Bridges' lone goal of the game off a penalty kick. With two more MIT shots, the game ended with an Engineers' victory.

MIT outshot Brooklyn 26-7 and only had to make two saves, compared to the Bridges' nine. Sophomore Jake Amereno (Commack, N.Y.) spent 61 minutes in the net and made both saves. Junior Sam Cannon (Scarsdale, N.Y.) replaced him in goal early in the second half, spending 28 minutes in the cage.

Tech will return to the field on Wednesday, Sept. 4 when it travels to Waltham, Mass. to face Brandeis University at 7:00 p.m.