- Score: No. 26 MIT 9, Boston University 0
- Records: No. 26 MIT (1-0), Boston University (0-2)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Zesiger Sports and Fitness Center Squash Courts)
- The Lead: The MIT squash team, ranked No. 26 in the College Squash Association's (CSA) Preseason Poll, opened the 2016-17 campaign with a 9-0 victory over Boston University on Thursday afternoon at home.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- At the top of the ladder, sophomore Justin Restivo (Phoenixville, Pa.) earned a hard fought 3-2 victory over Marwin Sallam. Restivo and Sallam traded points over the opening four sets before Restivo registered the fifth and final point (12-10) in the final set, giving MIT the early 1-0 advantage.
- With the exception of senior Nikhil Punwaney's (Dubai, United Arab Emirates) 3-1 win at the No. 3 position (11-5, 7-11, 11-5, 11-9) and Restivo's victory, the remainder of MIT's seven points came in the form of 3-0 sweeps.
- Freshmen Vedaant Paul Kukadia (Manhasset, N.Y.), Avery Lamp (Short Hills, N.J.), Neel Das (Needham, Mass.) and Wonjune Kang (Seoul, South Korea) all earned their first collegiate victories at their respective positions. Kukadia won 11-3, 11-5, 11-3 at the No. 2 position, Lamp won 11-1, 11-5, 11-0 at the No. 7 position, Das won 11-3, 11-3, 11-3 at the No. 8 position and Kang won 11-2, 11-2, 11-0 at the No. 9 position.
- MIT is back in action on Saturday, November 12th as the Engineers will play host to Lehigh University at 10:00 a.m. and Bryant University at 12:00 p.m. inside the Zesiger Sports and Fitness Center.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
No. 26 Squash Blanks Boston University, 9-0, In Season Opener