No. 26 MIT 7, Denison University 2
No. 26 MIT 8, No. 22 Hobart College 1
- Records: MIT (5-1); Denison (n/a); Hobart (0-3)
- Location: Annapolis, Md.
- The Lead: During its second day of competition at the Navy Tournament, the nationally-ranked No. 26 MIT squash team defeated Denison University, 7-2, and No. 22 Hobart College, 8-1, on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED vs. DENISON:
- MIT produced sweeps in five of its seven victories as freshman Vedaant Paul Kukadia (Manhasset, N.Y.) and graduate student Bowen Baker (Nevada City, Calif.) in the No. 3 and 5 spots, respectively, emerged with 3-1 decisions.
- Junior Jeffrey Hu (Phoenixville, Pa.) had the most efficient outing for the Engineers as he surrendered only 11 points in his 11-5, 11-4, 11-2 win at the No. 6 position. Senior Dominic Hansford (Darien, Conn.) and freshman Neel Das (Needham, Mass.) were next as they both yielded 12 points in their victories at No. 7 and No. 8.
- In the top slot sophomore Justin Restivo (Phoenixville, Pa.) fell, 11-2, 11-8, 11-13, 11-2 while senior Tyler Finkelstein's (Greenwich, Conn.) comeback attempt came up short as he lost, 11-6, 11-7, 9-11, 6-11, 11-6, in the No. 2 position.
HOW IT HAPPENED vs. HOBART:
- Five of the Engineers' eight victories were 3-0 decisions as Hansford dismissed his No. 7 opponent, 11-3, 11-4, 11-2.
- Baker registered a come-from-behind 3-2 victory in the No. 5 spot. After dropping the first two sets, 13-11 and 11-6, he bounced back with wins of 11-4, 11-9, and 13-11.
- Kukadia and senior Nikhil Punwaney (Dubai, United Arab Emirates) rounded out the squad with a pair of close 3-1 victories in the No. 3 and No. 4 positions. Kukadia bested his foe, 11-8, 6-11, 11-3, 11-9 while Punwaney fought off his opponent, 11-4, 7-11, 11-8, 11-4.
- MIT will take on Stanford and Bucknell in the finale of the Navy Tournament on Sunday, Nov. 20 with match times slated at 9:30 a.m. and 12:00 p.m., respectively.