No. 21 MIT 9, Northeastern University 0
No. 21 MIT 8, Boston College 1
- Records: MIT (9-2); Northeastern (n/a); BC (n/a)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Zesiger Center Squash Courts)
- The Lead: After a month-long hiatus, the MIT squash team returned to action by defeating Northeastern University, 9-0, and Boston College, 8-1, on Friday in its home three-day round robin tournament.
HOW IT HAPPENED vs. NORTHEASTERN:
- MIT swept the No. 2 through No. 9 spots with the closest matches occurring in the second and third slots. Freshman Vedaant Paul Kukadia (Manhasset, N.Y.) topped his foe, 11-8, 11-4, 11-6, while senior Nikhil Punwaney (Dubai, United Arab Emirates) outlasted his No. 3 opponent with scores of 11-7, 11-9, 11-8.
- At the top of the ladder, sophomore Justin Restivo (Phoenixville, Pa.) battled for an 11-8, 11-2, 12-14, 11-3 victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED vs. BOSTON COLLEGE:
- Seven of the Engineers' eight victories over BC were 3-0 decisions. Sophomore Andrew C. Turner (Ligonier, Pa.) fought off Murphy Harmon for an 11-9, 11-9, 15-13 win in the No. 8 position as classmate Elizabeth Wei (Seattle, Wash.) generated an 11-7, 11-3, 11-7 decision in the seventh slot. After battling Robbie Fischer for an 11-9 victory in the first game, graduate student Bowen Baker (Nevada City, Calif.) generated wins of 11-0 and 11-3 to complete the sweep.
- Senior Tyler Finkelstein (Greenwich, Conn.) registered an 11-3, 11-7, 8-11, 11-5 victory in the No. 1 position.
- MIT continues the round robin play on Saturday, Jan. 14 at 6:00 p.m. when it takes on No. 30 Haverford College.