Men's Tennis Falls to Bowdoin, Rebounds vs Springfield
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - In a 1-1 weekend, the No. 27 MIT men's tennis team fell to No. 13 Bowdoin College, 6-3, on the road Friday before recovering to defeat New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) rival Springfield College, 8-1, on Saturday at home.
Samuel Harmantz and Brian Oldfield picked up individual wins over the nationally-ranked Polar Bears, while Matt Skalak and Ken Van Tilburg added a third point in the Engineers' first loss of the 2009-10 campaign. In its conference opener, the MIT team swept doubles and won 5 of six singles matches to handily defeat Springfield's Pride.
The Engineers (7-1, 1-0 NEWMAC) look to continue their NEWMAC domination on Wednesday, April 7, when they host the Lyons of Wheaton College at 4 p.m.
Bowdoin 6, MIT 3
1. M. Skalak/K. Van Tilburg (MIT) def. J. Neely/K. Winingham (BOW) 8-4
2. S. Sullivan/N. Fenichell (BOW) def. K. Pang/L. Pang (MIT) 9-7
3. T. Anderson/C. Grindon (BOW) def. T. Hamamsy/B. Oldfield (MIT) 9-8(6)
1. Stephen Sullivan (BOW) def. Kevin Pang (MIT) 6-3, 6-2
2. Nicholas Fenichell (BOW) def. Ken Van Tilburg (MIT) 7-6(5), 7-5
3. Josh Cranin (BOW) def. Larry Pang (MIT) 6-4, 6-4
4. Samuel Harmatz (MIT) def. Jamie Neely (BOW) 6-4, 6-0
5. Adam Davis (BOW) def. Matt Skalak (MIT) 6-3, 6-1
6. Brian Oldfield (MIT) def. Casey Grindon (BOW) 3-6, 7-6(5), 10-3
MIT 8, Springfield 1
1. K. Van Tilburg/M. Skalak (MIT) def. T. Romanzi/T. Tunis (SPR); 8-6
2. L. Pang/K. Pang (MIT) def. K. Leahy/B. Burnap (SPR); 8-6
3. S. Harmatz/A. Cooper (MIT) def. Z. O'Leary/D. Nickerson (SPR); 8-1
1. Kevin Pang (MIT) def. Trevor Romanzi (SPR); 6-1, 6-4
2. Larry Pang (MIT) def. Tim Tunis (SPR); 6-2, 6-3
3. Samuel Harmatz (MIT) def. Ben Burnap (SPR); 6-1, 6-1
4. Andrew Cooper (MIT) def. Zach O'Leary (SPR); 6-1, 6-4
5. Brian Oldfield (MIT) def. Eric Henne (SPR); 6-1, 6-2
6. Doug Nickerson (SPR) def. Manny Rivera (MIT); 6-4, 6-4