CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - On another rainy night in the Boston area, MIT men's tennis played host to Colby-Sawyer College in the J.B. Carr Tennis Bubble. The powerhouse Engineers dominated their match for the second time in two days, this time downing the visiting Chargers, 7-2.
At doubles, MIT's pairs ran the table on Colby-Sawyer to lead the match 3-0.
In the No. 1 singles spot, Colby-Sawyer's Gustav Norberg managed to pick up a break point in the first set and held the lead at 4-3 before MIT's Ken Van Tilburg won three straight games to close the first set and another three to open the second, cruising to a 6-4, 6-2 win.
Junior Kevin Pang's victory in the No. 2 spot clinched the overall match point for the Engineers; his win came over senior Ben Dabush [6-0, 6-1].
Colby-Sawyer Bryan Racz found success in the No. 5 spot with a win over MIT's Neel Patel [6-3, 6-4] while sophomore Chris Lavoie beat out MIT freshman Michael Walsh [8-4] for the Chargers' second team point.
MIT (3-0) travels to Bates College for its next match on Saturday, February 27. In their next match, the Chargers (1-2) open play in The Commonwealth Coast Conference against Roger Williams on March 20.
MIT 7 - Colby-Sawyer 2
1. K. Pang/K. Van Tilburg (MIT) def G. Norberg/A. Whitman (CSC); 8-2
2. T. Hamamsy/A. Cooper (MIT) def. B. Dabush/R. Barnes (CSC); 8-3
3. M. Skalak/T. Astorino (MIT) def. J. Thormann/B. Racz (CSC); 8-3
1. Ken Van Tilburg (MIT) def. Gustav Norberg (CSC); 6-4, 6-2
2. Kevin Pang (MIT) def. Ben Dabush (CSC); 6-0, 6-1
3. Larry Pang (MIT) def. Adam Whitman (CSC); 8-2
4. Matthew Skalak (MIT) def. Jamie Thormann (CSC); 6-1, 6-1
5. Bryan Racz (CSC) def. Neel Patel (MIT); 6-3, 6-4
6. Chris Lavoie (CSC) def. Michael Walsh (MIT); 8-4
Match End Time - 7:03