Courtesy of Middlebury College Sports Information
MIDDLEBURY, Vt. – The MIT men's tennis team (15-2) finished its season Sunday with a loss in the Regional Final of the NCAA Championship tournament, falling 5-0 to host Middlebury College. The top-ranked Panthers (20-2) now advance to the NCAA Quarterfinals for the eighth straight year, having won 16 straight matches and posting their fourth 20-win season. Middlebury will take part in the NCAA Championship week beginning on Tuesday, May 25th at Oberlin College in Ohio.
Eliot Jia and Conrad Olson wasted little time, topping Kevin and Larry Pang by a score of 8-0 at No. 2 doubles. Andrew Thomson and Andrew Lee led 4-3 before holding twice and breaking twice to earn an 8-3 win at No. 1 over Ken Van Tilburg and Matthew Skalak. A lengthy match at No. 3 saw Chris Mason and Andrew Peters defeat Andrew Cooper and Brian Oldfield, 8-3.
Lee gave the Panthers a 4-0 advantage, earning a quick 6-1, 6-2 win over K. Pang in the No. 2 singles slot. Thomson sealed the match for Middlebury 20 minutes later, defeating Oldfield 6-2, 6-2 in the fourth spot. Olson was nearing a victory for the Panthers at No. 3, while MIT’s Van Tilburg took the first set from Peters at #1 singles. Jia/Hamamsy at No. 5 and Peter Odell/Skalak at No. 6 had each won a set and were battling in the third when the match ended.
Middlebury 5 - MIT 0
1. Thomson/Lee (Mid) def. Van Tilburg/Skalak (MIT); 8-3
2. Jia/Olson (Mid) def. Pang/Pang (MIT); 8-0
3. Chris Mason/Peters (Mid) def. Andrew Cooper/Oldfield (MIT); 8-3
1. Ken Van Tilburg (MIT) led Andrew Peters (Mid); 7-6 (5), 2-1
2. Andrew Lee (Mid) def. Kevin Pang (MIT); 6-1, 6-2
3. Conrad Olson (Mid) led Larry Pang (MIT); 6-4, 5-2 [halted]
4. Andrew Thomson (Mid) def. Brian Oldfield (MIT); 6-2, 6-2
5. Tymor Hamamsy (MIT) led Eliot Jia (Mid); 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 [halted]
6. Peter Odell (Mid) led Matthew Skalak (MIT); 4-6, 6-3, 2-1 [halted]