Men's Tennis Blanks Salem State
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The No. 27 MIT men’s tennis team returned from a month-long break to face-off against Salem State College in a non-conference match on Tuesday in the J.B. Carr Tennis Bubble. While the rain fell outside, the Engineers had no trouble with the Vikings, sweeping their opponent 9-0.
In doubles, MIT senior Ken Van Tilburg and freshman Matthew Skalak blanked their opponents in the No. 1 position [8-0]. Sophomore Josh Giller and freshman Aaron Goldsmith tried to win one back for Salem State in the No. 3 position but could not overcome the freshman pair of Troy Astorino and Andrew Cooper, as the Engineers took the point [8-2] and a 3-0 lead.
In singles, senior Viking Adrien Malosse took an early lead against MIT’s Larry Pang in the No. 1 position, but Pang rallied back, eventually winning the match in a tie-breaker [2-6, 6-2 (10-4)]. Freshman Michael Walsh was left to complete the shutout in the No. 6 position, and though he struggled briefly against Goldsmith, he came out on top [8-5] in the pro-set match.
The Vikings (1-3) next hit the court when they host Endicott College at 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 1. The Engineers (6-0) are in action again this week when they travel to face Bowdoin College on Friday, April 2, at 3 p.m.
MIT 9 - Salem State 0
1. K. Van Tilburg/M. Skalak (MIT) def. A. Malosse/R. Random (SSC); 8-0
2. T. Hamamsay/B. Oldfield (MIT) def. A. Eisath/S. Dowen (SSC); 8-1
3. A. Cooper/T. Astorino (MIT) def. J. Giller/A. Goldsmith (SSC); 8-2
1. Larry Pang (MIT) def. Adrien Malosse (SSC); 2-6, 6-2 (10-4)
2. Matthew Skalak (MIT) def. Rob Random (SSC); 3-0 [ret.]
3. Tymor Hamamsy (MIT) def. Alex Eisath (SSC); 6-0, 6-2
4. Andrew Cooper (MIT) def. Josh Giller (SSC); 6-1, 6-0
5. Neel Patel (MIT) def. Shawn Dowen (SSC); 6-2, 6-0
6. Michael Walsh (MIT) def. Aaron Goldsmith (SSC); 8-5