CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – On Wednesday , the No. 27 MIT men’s tennis team picked up an easy victory over New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) rival Wheaton College on the duPont Tennis Courts. Though the Lyons managed to force tiebreakers in two matches, Wheaton’s efforts were insufficient to fight off a 9-0 sweep by the Engineers, who extended their win streak to two and improved to 8-1 on the season.
MIT’s Ken Van Tilburg and Matthew Skalak, reigning NEWMAC Doubles Team of the Week, had some trouble getting past Wheaton’s Kyle Hudgins and Neall Oliver in the No. 1 doubles match, but after the match was evened at 8-8, the Engineers controlled the tiebreak to win the point [9-8 (7-3)].
In the other doubles matches, Kevin Pang and Larry Pang beat out James Little and Gregory Poulin [8-5] in the No. 2 match, while Tymor Hamamsy and Andrew Cooper topped Harry Altman and Brian Krantz [8-6] at the No. 3 position, giving the Cardinal and Gray a 3-0 lead.
In singles, Van Tilburg and the Pang brothers won each of their matches in two sets. Sophomore Samuel Harmatz fought off the efforts of Poulin in the No. 4 spot [7-5, 6-2], and Brian Oldfield came back from dropping the first set to take the point from Krantz in the No. 5 match [3-6, 6-0 (10-8)]. Hamasy defeated Altman in the final slot [6-1, 6-2], completing the Engineers’ sweep and ending Wheaton’s 6-game winning streak.
MIT is now 18-0 all-time against the Lyons since their series began in 1999.
Wheaton remains on the road on Friday, April 9, for a non-conference match at Union College. The Engineers look to continue their dominance of the NEWMAC when they visit the Bears of the U.S. Coast Guard on Saturday, April 10.
MIT 9 - Wheaton 0
1. K. Van Tilburg/M. Skalak (MIT) def. K. Hudgins/N. Oliver (WHE); 9-8 (7-3)
2. K. Pang/L. Pang (MIT) def. J. Little/G. Poulin (WHE); 8-5
3. T. Hamamsy/A. Cooper (MIT) def. H. Altman/B. Krantz (WHE); 8-6
1. Ken Van Tilburg (MIT) def. Neall Oliver (WHE); 6-4, 6-4
2. Kevin Pang (MIT) def. James Little (WHE); 6-1, 6-1
3. Larry Pang (MIT) def. Kyle Hudgins (WHE); 6-3, 6-4
4. Samuel Harmatz (MIT) def. Gregory Poulin (WHE); 7-5, 6-2
5. Brian Oldfield (MIT) def. Brian Krantz (WHE); 3-6, 6-0 (10-8)
6. Tymor Hamamsy (MIT) def. Harry Altman (WHE); 6-1, 6-2