MIT Men's Tennis Grabs Fourth Conference Victory of the Season
Springfield, Mass. -- April 16, 2011 -- The Springfield College men's tennis team fell this afternoon to MIT, 9-0, in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference action at the Springfield College Field House. With the threat of rain, the match was moved indoors.
With the win, MIT raised its record to 10-4 overall, 4-0 in the NEWMAC. Springfield is now 3-5 overall, 0-3 in league action.
All singles matches were taken in straight sets by the Engineers.
MIT will have until next Saturday off when they will travel to Wheaton for another NEWMAC contest at 1:00 PM. SC will host Assumption Monday (April 18) at 3:30 pm at the Appleton Courts.
Final Team Score -- MIT 9, Springfield 0
1) Ken Van Tilburg/Matthew Skalak (MIT) def. Ben Burnap/Doug Nickerson (SC), 8-4
2) Larry Pang/Curtis Wu (MIT) def. Zach O'Leary/John Schrank (SC), 8-3
3) Andrew Cooper/Edwin Zhang (MIT) def. Eric Henne/Joe Giannelli (SC), 8-2
1) Zhang (MIT) def. Burnap (SC), 6-2, 6-1
2) Van Tilburg (MIT) def. Nickerson (SC), 6-2, 6-0
3) Pang (MIT) def. O'Leary (SC), 6-2, 6-2
4) Wu (MIT) def. Henne (SC), 6-4, 6-4
5) Cooper (MIT) def. Giannelli (SC), 6-1, 6-2
6) Troy Astorino (MIT) def. Schrank (SC), 7-5, 6-3