March 2, 2008
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - In the programs' first meeting since 1926-27, MIT defeated Stevens Institute of Technology, 6-3, on Saturday. Ken Van Tilburg and Jonathan Farm picked up a pair of wins as the Engineers improved to 3-1 this season.
MIT recorded the first point of the match with an 8-4 victory by Eric Beren and Ken Van Tilburg in the top doubles spot. Farm and David Iba extended the Engineers' margin with an 8-5 win in the No. 3 slot. The Ducks cut their deficit in half when Zhi Wei Ko and Jason Ringstad defeated Peden Nichols and Kevin Pang, 8-6.
Ko outlasted Beren, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 in the No. 1 singles position as Van Tilburg topped Ricky Bawa, 6-3, 6-1. Pang posted a 6-2, 6-4 victory while Nichols defeated Ringstad, 6-4, 6-3. Farm notched MIT's final win of the day with a 6-4, 6-4 decision as Robert Habib fell, 6-1, 6-2, in the No. 6 spot.
Stevens Institute of Technology vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 6, Stevens 3
1. Eric Beren/Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Ricky Bawa/Piotr Rusinkiewicz (S), 8-4
2. Zhi Wie Ko/Jason Ringstad (S) def. Peden Nichols/Kevin Pang (M), 8-6
3. Jonathan Farm/David Iba (M) def. Kobe Attias/Jay Lee (S), 8-5
1. Zhi Wei Ko (S) def. Eric Beren (M), 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Ricky Bawa (S), 6-3, 6-1
3. Kevin Pang (M) def. Piotr Rusinkiewicz (S), 6-2, 6-4
4. Peden Nichols (M) def. Jason Ringstad (S), 6-4, 6-3
5. Jonathan Farm (M) def. Kobe Attias (S), 6-4, 6-4
6. Jay Lee (S) def. Robert Habib (M), 6-1, 6-2