Men's Tennis Tops Emerson, 8-1
March 2, 2009
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – In its spring opener, the MIT men’s tennis team defeated Emerson College, 8-1, on Saturday. The win raised the Engineers’ ledger to 4-0 overall while the Lions’ record dipped to 0-1.
Brant Buckley and Allesandro Bellino picked up what proved to be Emerson’s lone point of the day courtesy of an 8-4 win over Kevin Pang and David Iba in the No. 1 doubles position. Ken Van Tilburg and Brian Wee put MIT on the board with an 8-1 decision over David Fein and Varun Kapur. Jonathan Farm and Peden Nichols extended the lead following an 8-2 victory over Mark Jackman and Ken Nikravesh.
Ryan Castonia did not drop a game in his No. 5 singles match with Mark Jackman. Samuel Harmatz and Nichols defeated Morgan Crossley and Kapur by identical scores of 6-0, 6-1, in the No. 4 and No 6 slots, respectively. Van Tilburg and Wee topped Bellino and Fein by margins of 6-1, 6-4. In the top spot, Pang defeated Buckley, 6-4, 6-1.
Next up for MIT will be a home match against Bates College on Friday, March 6. Emerson will return to action on Saturday, March 21 when it travels to Great Northeast Atlantic Conference (GNAC) foe Albertus Magnus College.
Emerson College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 8, Emerson 1
1. Brant Buckley/Allesandro Bellino (E) def. Kevin Pang/David Iba (M), 8-4
2. Ken Van Tilburg/Brian Wee (M) def. David Fein/Varun Kapur (E), 8-1
3. Jonathan Farm/Peden Nichols (M) def. Mark Jackman/Ken Nikravesh (E), 8-2
1. Kevin Pang (M) def. Brant Buckley (E), 6-4, 6-1
2. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Allesandro Bellino (E), 6-1, 6-4
3. Brian Wee (M) def. David Fein (E), 6-1, 6-4
4. Samuel Harmatz (M) def. Morgan Crossley (E), 6-0, 6-1
5. Ryan Castonia (M) def. Mark Jackman (E), 6-0, 6-0
6. Peden Nichols (M) def. Varun Kapur (E), 6-0, 6-1