March 5, 2008
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The regionally-ranked No. 10 MIT men's tennis team extended its winning streak to three following a 9-0 victory over Salem State College on Wednesday. The decision lifted the Engineers' ledger to 4-1 while the Vikings fell in their season-opener.
MIT opened the match with a pair of 8-0 decisions in the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles positions. Peden Nichols and Kevin Pang defeated Kyle Watson and Rob Thomas in the second spot while Jonathan Farm and David Iba posted their victory over Josh Wiseman and Brian Carlson. In the No. 1 slot, Eric Beren and Ken Van Tilburg upended Adrien Malosse and Rob Random by an 8-2 margin.
In singles action, Van Tilburg and Nichols registered identical 6-4, 6-1 wins over Malosse and Random, respectively. Manuel Rivera topped Thomas, 6-2, 6-1, in the No. 3 spot while Ryan Castonia defeated Watson, 6-2, 6-0. David Iba battled Carlson in a 6-3, 6-3 victory as Stephen Powelson wrapped up the match with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Wiseman in the No. 6 position.
Next up for MIT will be a home match against Endicott College on Saturday, March 8. Salem State will resume action on Tuesday, March 18 when it hosts Stonehill College.
Salem State vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 9, Salem State 0
1. Eric Beren/Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Adrien Malosse/Rob Random (S), 8-2
2. Peden Nichols/Kevin Pang (M) def. Kyle Watson/Rob Thomas (S), 8-0
3. Jonathan Farm/David Iba (M) def. Josh Wiseman/Brian Carlson (S), 8-0
1. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Adrien Malosse (S), 6-4, 6-1
2. Peden Nichols (M) def. Rob Random (S), 6-4, 6-1
3. Manuel Rivera (M) def. Rob Thomas (S), 6-2, 6-1
4. Ryan Castonia (M) def. Kyle Watson (S), 6-2, 6-0
5. David Iba (M) def. Brian Carlson (S), 6-3, 6-3
6. Stephen Powelson (M) def. Josh Wiseman (S), 6-0, 6-1