March 6, 2007
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - MIT dropped only 11 games in its 9-0 victory over Gordon College in non-conference men's tennis action on Monday. The Engineers' overall record was raised to 3-0 as the Fighting Scots fell in their season opener.
Peden Nichols and Said Francis overpowered CJ Pope and Dan Hayner in their No. 2 doubles match as they posted an 8-0 decision. Thomas Dohlman and Eric Beren along with Ryan Castonia and Manuel Rivera both defeated their opponents by an 8-1 margin.
In singles play, Dohlman, Mark Egan, and Peden Nichols each won their matches with scores of 6-0, 6-1. Rivera and Castonia both notched 6-2, 6-1 victories as Francis shutout his No. 6 singles foe, 6-0, 6-0.
Gordon College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 9, Gordon 0
1. Thomas Dohlman/Eric Beren (M) def. Greg Zini/Blake Larson (G), 8-1
2. Peden Nichols/Said Francis (M) def. C.J. Pope/Dan Hayner (G), 8-0
3. Ryan Castonia/Manuel Rivera (M) def. David Flight/Kreigh Knerr (G), 8-1
1. Thomas Dohlman (M) def. Greg Zini (G), 6-0, 6-1
2. Mark Egan (M) def. Blake Larson (G), 6-0, 6-1
3. Peden Nichols (M) def. Greg Kofanski (G), 6-0, 6-1
4. Manuel Rivera (M) def. C.J. Pope (G), 6-2, 6-1
5. Ryan Castonia (M) def. Dave Flight (G), 6-2, 6-1
6. Said Francis (M) def. Dan Hayner (G), 6-0, 6-0