Engineers Shutout Gordon, 9-0
March 10, 2008
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The MIT men's tennis team extended its winning streak to five following a 9-0 victory over Gordon College on Monday. With the win, the regionally-ranked No. 10 Engineers improved to 6-1 on the year while the Fighting Scots' ledger lowered to 1-1 overall.
Eric Beren and Ken Van Tilburg along with Peden Nichols and David Iba posted a pair of 8-0 decisions in the top-two doubles positions. In the final match, Ryan Castonia and Brendan McCord defeated Sam Sereda and Winston Janusz, 8-1.
In singles action, Van Tilburg topped Michael Larson, 6-1, 6-0, in the No. 1 position. Nichols and Castonia recorded identical 6-0, 6-1 wins over Andrew Van Rheenan and Daniel Cormier, respectively. Iba defeated Carl Quinion, 6-3, 6-0, in the No. 4 slot while Brendan McCord notched a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Sereda. Stephen Powelson wrapped up MIT's lineup by not dropping a game in his match with Josh Cornwall.
Next up for MIT will be a road match at Bates College on Thursday, March 13. Gordon will resume action on Saturday, March 15 when it squares off with Lakeland Junior College in Hilton Head, S.C.
Gordon College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 9, Gordon 0
1. Eric Beren/Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Michael Larson/Daniel Cormier (G), 8-0
2. Peden Nichols/David Iba (M) def. Andrew Van Rheenan/Unknown (G), 8-0
3. Ryan Castonia/Brendan McCord (M) def. Sam Sereda/Winston Janusz (G), 8-1
1. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Michael Larson (G), 6-1, 6-0
2. Peden Nichols (M) def. Andrew Van Rheenan (G), 6-0, 6-1
3. Ryan Castonia (M) def. Daniel Cormier (G), 6-0, 6-1
4. David Iba (M) def. Carl Quinion (G), 6-3, 6-0
5. Brendan McCord (M) def. Sam Sereda (G), 6-1, 6-0
6. Stephen Powelson (M) def. Josh Cornwall (G), 6-0, 6-0