March 12, 2009
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - In the programs' first meeting since the 1948-49 season, the MIT men's tennis team topped Suffolk University, 8-1, on Thursday. With the win, the Engineers improved to 5-1 on the year while the Rams' ledger lowered to 0-1.
MIT opened the contest with a pair of 8-2 decisions in the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles spots. Samuel Harmatz and David Iba defeated Christopher Staley and John Samander while Biafra Ahanonu and Max Nelson registered their victory over Justin Ayoub and Garrett Freeman. The Engineers completed the sweep courtesy of Brian Wee and Ken Van Tilburg's 8-5 win over Diego Alvarado and Jared Orkin.
Van Tilburg carried the momentum into the singles portion of the match, notching a 6-0, 6-2 decision over Alvarado in the No. 1 position. Wee followed with a 6-0, 6-3 victory against Staley as Harmatz did not drop a game to Orkin in the No. 3 slot. Iba recorded a 6-0, 6-1 decision versus Ayoub while Ahanonu posted an 8-2 win in the No. 6 spot. Freeman put Suffolk on the board by outlasting Manuel Rivera, 10-8, in the No. 5 position.
MIT returns to action on Tuesday, March 31 when it hosts Salem State College. On Saturday, March 21, Suffolk will host Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) foe Norwich University in its home-opener.
Suffolk University vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 8, Suffolk 1
1. Brian Wee/Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Diego Alvarado/Jared Orkin (S), 8-5
2. Samuel Harmatz/David Iba (M) def. Christopher Staley/John Samander (S), 8-2
3. Biafra Ahanonu/Max Nelson (M) def. Justin Ayoub/Garrett Freeman (S), 8-2
1. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Diego Alvarado (S), 6-0, 6-2
2. Brian Wee (M) def. Christopher Staley (S), 6-0, 6-3
3. Samuel Harmatz (M) def. Jared Orkin (S), 6-0, 6-0
4. David Iba (M) def. Justin Ayoub (S), 6-0, 6-1
5. Garrett Freeman (S) def. Manuel Rivera (M), 10-8
6. Biafra Ahanonu (M) def. Unknown opponent (S), 8-2