Bates Beats Men's Tennis, 8-1
March 14, 2008
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Regionally-ranked No. 7 Bates College snapped MIT's five-match winning streak with an 8-1 decision in non-conference men's tennis action on Thursday. The No. 10 Engineers saw their ledger lower to 6-2 on the year while the Bobcats improved to 4-2.
In the No. 1 doubles position, Ben Stein and Amrit Rupasinghe defeated Eric Beren and Ken Van Tilburg, 8-2. Peden Nichols and Kevin Pang fell by an 8-4 margin in the next slot while David Iba and Brendan McCord lost, 8-5.
Pang denied Bates a sweep of the singles matches when he outlasted Michael Reiss, 7-6 (4), 6-1, in the No. 3 position. Beren fell in the top spot, 6-4, 6-0, as Van Tilburg was defeated, 6-4, 6-4. Nichols lost to Max Berger, 6-2, 6-3, in the No. 4 slot as Zach Fenno topped Ryan Castonia, 6-3, 6-3. Michael Price wrapped up the match with a 6-1, 6-2 loss in the No. 6 spot.
MIT vs. Bates College
Final Team Score: Bates 8, MIT 1
1. Ben Stein/Amrit Rupasinghe (B) def. Eric Beren/Ken Van Tilburg (M), 8-2
2. Danilo Acosta/Zach Fenno (B) def. Peden Nichols/Kevin Pang (M), 8-4
3. Michael Reiss/Brett Hine (B) def. David Iba/Brendan McCord (M), 8-5
1. Ben Stein (B) def. Eric Beren (M), 6-4, 6-0
2. Amrit Rupasinghe (B) def. Ken Van Tilburg (M), 6-4, 6-4
3. Kevin Pang (M) def. Michael Reiss (B), 7-6 (4), 6-1
4. Max Berger (B) def. Peden Nichols (M), 6-2, 6-3
5. Zach Fenno (B) def. Ryan Castonia (M), 6-3, 6-3
6. Danilo Acosta (B) def. Michael Price (M), 6-1, 6-2