March 23, 2006
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The MIT men's tennis team, ranked No. 6 in the northeast, defeated regionally-ranked No. 4 Bates College, 5-2, on Wednesday. The win boosted the Engineers' record to 5-1 on the year.
Will Boe-Wiegaard and Tristan Beach, the No. 2-ranked doubles team in the region defeated Evan Tindell and Thomas Dohlman, 8-3. The Bobcats captured the doubles point with another 8-3 victory over Eric Beren and Peden Nichols. Mark Egan and Jonathan Farm collaborated for Tech's lone doubles win, an 8-4 decision in the No. 3 position.
Tindell posted MIT's first point of the match by taking Boe-Wiegaard in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2. Dohlman gave the Engineers the lead by winning a close tiebreaker, 6-2, 7-6 (4) in the No. 2 spot. After dropping the first set in his No. 3 match, 6-3, Beren bounced back with consecutive victories, 6-4, 7-5. Egan recorded a 7-6 opening set win, but could not sustain the momentum as he lost, 6-3, 6-2. Nichols posted a pair of 6-4 wins while Melvin Makhni did the same with a 6-1 margin.
No. 4 Bates College vs. No. 6 MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 5, Bates 2
1. (No. 2) Will Boe-Wiegaard/Tristan Beach (B) def. (No. 7) Evan Tindell/Thomas Dohlman (M), 8-3
2. Greg Little/Feinberg (B) def. Eric Beren/Peden Nichols (M), 8-3
3. Mark Egan/Jonathan Farm (M) def. Ben Stein/Pat Conway (B), 8-4
1. (No. 10) Evan Tindell (M) def. (No. 3) Will Boe-Wiegaard (B), 6-3, 6-2
2. Thomas Dohlman (M) def. (No. 16) Tristan Beach (B), 6-2, 7-6 (4)
3. Eric Beren (M) def. Greg Little (B), 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
4. Mike Sherman (B) def. Mark Egan (M), 6-7, 6-3, 6-2
5. Peden Nichols (M) def. Ben Stein (B), 6-4, 6-4
6. Melvin Makhni (M) def. Pat Conway (B), 6-1, 6-1