March 29, 2008
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The regionally-ranked No. 11 MIT men's tennis team kicked off New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) play with an 8-1 victory over Springfield College. With the win, the Engineers improved to 8-4 on the year while the Pride fell to 2-4 overall.
The regionally-ranked No. 9 tandem of Eric Beren and Ken Van Tilburg put MIT on the board with an 8-1 win over Andrew Constant and Joe Lisi in the top spot. The Engineers extended their advantage courtesy of an 8-3 decision by Peden Nichols and Jonathan Farm in the No. 3 position. Springfield cut its deficit in half when Rahul Bala and Trevor Romanzi edged out Kevin Pang and David Iba, 9-7.
In singles action, Beren topped Constant, 6-2, 6-4, in the No. 1 slot as Pang defeated Lisi, 6-3, 6-4 in the next position. Van Tilburg picked up a 6-4, 6-2 win over Bala while Ryan Castonia registered MIT's final straight-set victory, a 6-1, 6-2 decision over Bobby Schlink. In the No. 4 spot, Nichols outlasted Romanzi, 6-3, 3-6, 10-6 as Iba battled back for a hard-fought 4-6, 7-5, 11-9 win over Tim Tunis.
MIT's next match will be at Bowdoin College on Friday, April 4 while Springfield will travel to Connecticut College on Wednesday, April 2.
Springfield College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 8, Springfield 1
1. Eric Beren/Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Andrew Constant/Joe Lisi (S), 8-1
2. Rahul Bala/Trevor Romanzi (S) def. Kevin Pang/David Iba (M), 9-7
3. Peden Nichols/Jonathan Farm (M) def. Bobby Schlink/Tim Tunis (S), 8-3
1. Eric Beren (M) def. Andrew Constant (S), 6-2, 6-4
2. Kevin Pang (M) def. Joe Lisi (S), 6-3, 6-4
3. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Rahul Bala (S), 6-4, 6-2
4. Peden Nichols (M) def. Trevor Romanzi (S), 6-3, 3-6, 10-6
5. Ryan Castonia (M) def. Bobby Schlink (S), 6-1, 6-2
6. David Iba (M) def. Tim Tunis (S), 4-6, 7-5, 11-9