MIT Blanks Salem State, 9-0
April 1, 2009
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Following a two-week hiatus, the MIT men’s tennis team recorded a 9-0 win over visiting Salem State College on Tuesday. With the victory, the Engineers improved to 6-1 on the year while the Vikings fell in their season-opener.
MIT opened up the contest with a pair of 8-0 decisions in the top two doubles spots. Kevin Pang and Ken Van Tilburg topped Adrien Malosse and Robert Random while Brian Wee and Peden Nichols collaborated for the shutout in the No. 2 position. Samuel Harmatz and Biafra Ahanonu completed the sweep with an 8-2 victory over Dasilva and Giller.
Van Tilburg edged out Malosse, 6-3, 7-5, in the No. 1 singles spot as Pang defeated Random, 6-1, 6-2. Harmatz surrendered only one game to Alexander Eisath in a 6-1, 6-0 victory while Max Nelson and Manuel Rivera notched identical 6-3, 6-0 wins. Robert Habib wrapped up the match with a 6-1, 6-1 victory in the No. 6 slot.
Salem State College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 9, Salem State 0
1. Kevin Pang/Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Adrien Malosse/Robert Random (S), 8-0
2. Brian Wee/Peden Nichols (M) def. Alexander Eisath/Dasilva (S), 8-0
3. Samuel Harmatz/Biafra Ahanonu (M) def. Dasilva/Giller (S), 8-2
1. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Adrien Malosse (S), 6-3, 7-5
2. Kevin Pang (M) def. Robert Random (S), 6-1, 6-2
3. Samuel Harmatz (M) def. Alexander Eisath (S), 6-1, 6-0
4. Max Nelson (M) def. Giller (S), 6-3, 6-0
5. Manuel Rivera (M) def. Leete (S), 6-3, 6-0
6. Robert Habib (M) def. Dasilva (S), 6-1, 6-1