April 4, 2009
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – With a 6-3 decision over The College of New Jersey on Friday, the MIT men’s tennis team recorded its first victory against a nationally-ranked opponent this season. The Engineers’ ledger improved to 7-1 while the No. 27 Lions’ record dipped to 6-2.
Peden Nichols and Samuel Harmatz put MIT on the board with an 8-4 victory over Dan Lee and Bill Carrig in the No. 3 doubles spot. TCNJ evened the contest in the top spot when Jeremy Eckardt and Stewart Fernandez edged out Kevin Pang and Ken Van Tilburg, 8-6. The No. 2 tandem of Brian Wee and David Iba put the Engineers ahead with the identical score against Jonathan Yu and Steve Fernandez.
The Cardinal and Gray carried the momentum into singles action as it captured the first four spots. Van Tilburg topped Eckardt, 6-4, 6-3, as Pang defeated Stewart Fernandez, 6-3, 6-1. Wee cruised past Yu, 6-0, 6-2, while Harmatz posted a 6-1, 6-2 win over Steve Fernandez. Edgar Shannon edged out Nichols, 6-2, 7-5, in the No. 5 spot as Dan Lee outlasted Ryan Castonia, 6-2, 5-6, 10-5.
No. 27 The College of New Jersey vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 6, TCNJ 3
1. Jeremy Eckardt/Stewart Fernandez (T) def. Kevin Pang/Ken Van Tilburg (M), 8-6
2. Brian Wee/David Iba (M) def. Jonathan Yu/Steve Fernandez (T), 8-6
3. Peden Nichols/Samuel Harmatz (M) def. Dan Lee/Bill Carrig (T), 8-4
1. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Jeremy Eckardt (T), 6-4, 6-3
2. Kevin Pang (M) def. Stewart Fernandez (T), 6-3, 6-1
3. Brian Wee (M) def. Jonathan Yu (T), 6-0, 6-2
4. Samuel Harmatz (M) def. Steve Fernandez (T), 6-1, 6-2
5. Edgar Shannon (T) def. Peden Nichols (M), 6-2, 7-5
6. Dan Lee (T) def. Ryan Castonia (M), 6-2, 4-6, 10-5