MIT Defeats Wheaton, 7-2
April 9, 2009
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The regionally-ranked No. 12 MIT men’s tennis team extended its winning streak to five following a 7-2 decision over NEWMAC foe Wheaton College on Wednesday. The victory raised the Engineers’ ledger to 9-1 overall and 2-0 in conference play.
MIT opened the contest with Samuel Harmatz and Peden Nichols collaborating for an 8-3 win in the No. 3 doubles position. Neall Oliver and James Little put the Lyons on the board with a 9-8 decision over Kevin Pang and Ken Van Tilburg. The NEWMAC Doubles Team of the Week comprised of Brian Wee and David Iba edged out their counterparts by the same 9-8 margin.
Pang topped Oliver, 6-3, 6-3, in the No. 1 singles slot as Van Tilburg followed with a 6-4, 6-3 win against Little. Kyle Hudgins gave Wheaton what proved to be its final point of the day in the No. 3 spot when he defeated Wee, 6-2, 6-4. Harmatz recorded a 6-2, 6-2 victory in next position while Nichols posted a 6-4, 6-3 win over Brian Krantz. Jonathan Farm wrapped up the match with a 6-3, 6-3 win in the No. 6 slot.
MIT vs. Wheaton College
Final Team Score: MIT 7, Wheaton 2
1. Neall Oliver/James Little (W) def. Kevin Pang/Ken Van Tilburg (M), 9-8
2. Brian Wee/David Iba (M) def. Kyle Hudgins/Nii Manfoi Davies (W), 9-8
3. Samuel Harmatz/Peden Nichols (M) def. Harry Altman/Brian Krantz (W), 8-3
1. Kevin Pang (M) def. Neall Oliver (W), 6-3, 6-3
2. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. James Little (W), 6-4, 6-3
3. Kyle Hudgins (W) def. Brian Wee (M), 6-2, 6-4
4. Samuel Harmatz (M) def. Harry Altman (W), 6-2, 6-2
5. Peden Nichols (M) def. Brian Krantz (W), 6-4, 6-3
6. Jonathan Farm (M) def. Cullen Garrity (W) 6-3, 6-3