April 11, 2007
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Nationally-ranked No. 22 MIT defeated Clark University, 9-0, in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) men's tennis match on Wednesday afternoon. With the win, the Engineers improved to 9-5 on the year and 3-0 in conference play while the Cougars dropped to 1-4 on the season and 0-3 in the NEWMAC.
MIT registered a pair of 8-5 decisions in the top two doubles spots. Thomas Dohlman and Peden Nichols defeated Adam Bisceglia and Charlie Sherman in the No. 1 slot while Said Francis and David Iba upended Brian Brown and Rocco Li. In the No. 3 position, Manuel Rivera and Vinith Misra collaborated in a hard-fought 9-8 (8-6) victory over Ben Gross and Socheata Ly.
In the No. 2 and No. 6 singles slots, Egan and Iba registered wins over Sherman and Ly, respectively, by scores of 6-0, 6-1. Francis dropped only one game to Brown in his 6-1, 6-0 No. 4 singles win. Dohlman defeated Bisceglia, 6-0, 6-2, in the No. 1 spot while Nichols recorded a 6-2, 6-2 decision over Gross. Rivera wrapped up singles play by outlasting Li, 2-6, 6-2 (10-1) in the No. 5 position.
Both teams will continue NEWMAC play at home on Saturday, April 14. MIT will host the U.S. Coast Guard Academy while Clark will meet up with Babson College.
Clark University vs. No. 22 MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 9, Clark 0
1. Thomas Dohlman/Peden Nichols (M) def. Adam Bisceglia/Charlie Sherman (C), 8-5
2. Said Francis/David Iba (M) def. Brian Brown/Rocco Li (C), 8-5
3. Manuel Rivera/Vinith Misra (M) def. Ben Gross/Socheata Ly (C), 9-8 (8-6)
1. Thomas Dohlman (M) def. Adam Bisceglia (C), 6-0, 6-2
2. Mark Egan (M) def. Charlie Sherman (C), 6-0, 6-1
3. Peden Nichols (M) def. Ben Gross (C), 6-2, 6-2
4. Said Francis (M) def. Brian Brown (C), 6-1, 6-0
5. Manuel Rivera (M) def. Rocco Li (C), 2-6, 6-2 (10-1)
6. David Iba (M) def. Socheata Ly (C), 6-0, 6-1