April 11, 2009
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The MIT men’s tennis team remained unblemished in New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action following a 9-0 victory over visiting U.S. Coast Guard Academy on Saturday. With the win, the regionally-ranked No. 12 Engineers improved to 10-1 on the year and 3-0 in conference play while the Bears moved to 6-7 overall and 1-3 in the NEWMAC.
Peden Nichols and Samuel Harmatz led off the match with an 8-2 decision against Vince Falco and Isaacson in the No. 3 doubles spot. Kevin Pang and Ken Van Tilburg registered an 8-4 victory in the top slot while David Iba and Brian Wee outlasted Chris Pappe and Wesley Figaro, 8-6.
Pang kicked off singles play with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Greg Mitchell. Van Tilburg followed with a 6-3, 6-2 decision against Nick Martin while Harmatz defeated Pappe, 6-2, 6-1. In the closest pairing of the day, Nichols fought off Wesley Figaro, 7-5, 6-2, in the No. 4 position. Jonathan Farm topped Tim Ozimek, 6-4, 6-2, as Ryan Castonia posted a 6-1, 6-3 decision.
Both squads will take on non-conference opponents next week. MIT will host Brandeis University on Tuesday, April 13 while Coast Guard will travel to Trinity College on Thursday, April 16.
U.S. Coast Guard Academy vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 9, Coast Guard 0
1. Kevin Pang/Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Greg Mitchell/Nick Martin (C), 8-4
2. David Iba/Brian Wee (M) def. Chris Pappe/Wesley Figaro (C), 8-6
3. Peden Nichols/Samuel Harmatz (M) def. Vince Falco/Isaacson (C), 8-2
1. Kevin Pang (M) def. Greg Mitchell (C), 6-1, 6-1
2. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Nick Martin (C), 6-3,6-2
3. Samuel Harmatz (M) def. Chris Pappe (C), 6-2, 6-1
4. Peden Nichols (M) def. Wesley Figaro (C), 7-5, 6-2
5. Jonathan Farm (M) def. Tim Ozimek (C), 6-4, 6-2
6. Ryan Castonia (M) def. Unknown opponent (C), 6-1, 6-3