April 13, 2008
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Following a 9-0 victory over the U.S. Coast Guard Academy on Saturday, regionally-ranked No. 11 MIT remained perfect in NEWMAC play and stands as the only undefeated team in the league with one match left to play. With the win, the Engineers improved to 11-5 on the year and 4-0 in the NEWMAC.
Kevin Pang and David Iba along with Peden Nichols and Brendan McCord recorded identical 8-4 decisions in the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles positions. Eric Beren and Ken Van Tilburg edged out Ryan Beck and Chris Pappe, 8-6, to compete the sweep.
In the top singles spot, Beren defeated Beck, 7-5, 6-2, as Van Tilburg outlasted Pappe, 6-2, 6-7, 10-5. Pang cruised past James Vuckovic, 6-0, 6-2, in the No. 3 slot while Nichols topped Tim Ozimek, 6-1, 6-3. Ryan Castonia and Michael Price closed out the day with victories of 6-4, 6-1 and 6-3, 6-2, respectively.
MIT vs. U.S. Coast Guard Academy
Final Team Score: MIT 9, Coast Guard 0
1. Eric Beren/Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Ryan Beck/Chris Pappe (C), 8-6
2. Kevin Pang/David Iba (M) def. Tim Ozimek/Vince Falco (C), 8-4
3. Peden Nichols/Brendan McCord (M) def. James Vuckovic/Brett Stillman (C), 8-4
1. Eric Beren (M) def. Ryan Beck (C), 7-5, 6-2
2. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Chris Pappe (C), 6-2, 6-7, 10-5
3. Kevin Pang (M) def. James Vuckovic (C), 6-0, 6-2
4. Peden Nichols (M) def. Tim Ozimek (C), 6-1, 6-3
5. Ryan Castonia (M) def. Brett Stillman (C), 6-4, 6-1
6. Michael Price (M) def. Vince Falco (C), 6-3, 6-2