No. 22 MIT Cruises Past Coast Guard, 9-0
April 15, 2007
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The nationally-ranked No. 22 MIT men's tennis team continued its undefeated season in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) play following its 9-0 victory over the U.S. Coast Guard Academy on Saturday. With the win, the Engineers improved to 10-5 overall and 4-0 in conference play while the Bears dropped to 4-6 on the year and 0-4 in the NEWMAC.
In doubles play, MIT won every position by an 8-1 margin. Mark Egan (No. 3), Melvin Makhni (No. 5), and Vinith Misra (No. 6) posted 6-0, 6-0 decisions in their respective singles matches. In the No. 4 spot, Peden Nichols defeated Cody Isaacson, 6-1, 6-1, while Eric Beren recorded a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Chris Pappe in the No. 2 slot. In the top position, Thomas Dohlman notched a hard-fought 7-5 opening set victory before blanking Ryan Beck in the second set.
In exhibition play, David Iba and Misra did not drop a game in their 8-0 win over Craig Mobus and Chris Prince.
MIT will close out NEWMAC play on Saturday, April 21 when it travels to Wheaton College. Next up for Coast Guard will be a home match against Mitchell College on Monday, April 16.
U.S. Coast Guard Academy vs. No. 22 MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 9, Coast Guard 0
1. Thomas Dohlman/Eric Beren (M) def. Ryan Beck/Chris Pappe (C), 8-1
2. Mark Egan/Peden Nichols (M) def. Tim Ozimek/Lynn Shrayshnen (C), 8-1
3. Said Francis/Melvin Makhni (M) def. Cody Isaacson/Vince Flaco (C), 8-1
4. David Iba/Vinith Misra (M) def. Craig Mobus/Chris Prince (C), 8-0.
1. Thomas Dohlman (M) def. Ryan Beck (C), 7-5, 6-0
2. Eric Beren (M) def. Chris Pappe (C), 6-2, 6-0
3. Mark Egan (M) def. Tim Ozimek (C), 6-0, 6-0
4. Peden Nichols (M) def. Cody Isaacson (C), 6-1, 6-1
5. Melvin Makhni (M) def. Vince Falco (C), 6-0, 6-0
6. Vinith Misra (M) def. Lynn Shrayshnen (C), 6-0, 6-0