April 18, 2009
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – In a New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) men’s tennis match, regionally-ranked No. 9 MIT posted a 9-0 victory over visiting Clark University on Saturday. With the win, the Engineers improved to 12-2 on the year and 4-0 in conference play while the Cougars dipped to 4-7 overall and 0-5 in the NEWMAC.
Max Nelson and Manuel Rivera along with Ken Van Tilburg and David Iba recorded 8-1 decisions in the No. 3 and No. 1 doubles slots, respectively. Peden Nichols and Samuel Harmatz notched an 8-3 victory over Rocco Li and Soucheata Ly to complete the sweep.
Biafra Ahanonu did not surrender a game to Nathan Maltais in the No. 6 singles spot. Harmatz and Nichols registered wins with identical scores of 6-1, 6-0. Stephen Powelson defeated Aaron Chin, 6-0, 6-2, in the No. 5 spot as Iba topped Ly, 6-3, 6-3. Van Tilburg fought off Adam Bisceglia, 7-6, 6-3, in the No. 1 position.
Both squads will return to action on Tuesday, April 21. MIT will travel to NEWMAC foe Babson College while Clark will host Anna Maria College in a non-conference tilt.
Clark University vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 9, Clark 0
1. Ken Van Tilburg/David Iba (M) def. Adam Bisceglia/Aaron Chin (C), 8-1
2. Peden Nichols/Samuel Harmatz (M) def. Rocco Li/Socheata Ly (C), 8-3
3. Max Nelson/Manuel Rivera (M) def. Ben Gross/Marcus Abramson (C), 8-1
1. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Adam Bisceglia (C), 7-6, 6-3
2. Samuel Harmatz (M) def. Ben Gross (C), 6-1, 6-0
3. Peden Nichols (M) def. Rocco Li (C), 6-1, 6-0
4. David Iba (M) def. Socheata Ly (C), 6-3, 6-3
5. Stephen Powelson (M) def. Aaron Chin (C), 6-0, 6-2
6. Biafra Ahanonu (M) def. Nathan Maltais (C), 6-0, 6-0