April 19, 2008
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Following a 9-0 victory over Wheaton College, the MIT men's tennis team claimed the program's 10th consecutive New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) regular season conference title. The win lifted the Engineers' ledger to 13-5 overall and 5-0 in the league while the Lyons' record lowered to 8-6 on the year and 2-3 in the NEWMAC.
Eric Beren and Ken Van Tilburg led off the day with an 8-0 decision over Kyle Hudgins and James Little. Kevin Pang and David Iba along with Peden Nichols and Jonathan Farm posted 8-2 wins in the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles positions.
In the top singles spot, Beren defeated Greg Poulin, 6-2, 6-0, as Van Tilburg posted scores of 6-3 and 6-2 in the next slot. Pang and Iba did not drop a game in their No. 3 and No. 6 matches while Nichols outlasted Harry Altman, 4-6, 6-3, 10-3, in the No. 4 position. Farm edged out Nii Manfoi Davies, 7-5, in the first set before cruising to a 6-0 win to wrap up the match.
Both teams will continue action in the NEWMAC Men's Tennis Championship Tournament next week.
Wheaton College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 9, Wheaton 0
1. Eric Beren/Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Kyle Hudgins/James Little (W), 8-0
2. Kevin Pang/David Iba (M) def. Cullen Garrity/Greg Poulin (W), 8-2
3. Peden Nichols/Jonathan Farm (M) def. Harry Altman/Brian Krantz (W), 8-2
1. Eric Beren (M) def. Greg Poulin (W), 6-2, 6-0
2. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Kyle Hudgins (W), 6-3, 6-2
3. Kevin Pang (M) def. Brian Krantz (W), 6-0, 6-0
4. Peden Nichols (M) def. Harry Altman (W), 4-6, 6-3, 10-3
5. Jonathan Farm (M) def. Nii Manfoi Davies (W), 7-5, 6-0
6. David Iba (M) def. Eric Pelletier (W), 6-0, 6-0