April 22, 2009
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - In a battle of undefeated conference foes the MIT men's tennis team emerged with an 8-1 victory over host Babson College on Tuesday, registering another unblemished campaign in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) and picking up its 11th straight regular season title. The No. 1 seeded Engineers (13-2, 5-0 NEWMAC) will take on either No. 4 U.S. Coast Guard Academy or No. 5 Springfield College in the semifinals of the NEWMAC Championship Tournament hosted by Wheaton College on Saturday, April 25.
Peden Nichols and Samuel Harmatz collaborated for an 8-1 win in the No. 3 doubles slot as Brian Wee and David Iba recorded an 8-2 decision. In the top spot, Ken Van Tilburg and Kevin Pang rallied from a 6-3 deficit to take an 8-6 victory over Alex Kamergorodsky and Brian Lafayette.
Harmatz yielded only one game in his 6-0, 6-1 decision against Austin Conti in the No. 4 singles position. Wee defeated Ken Lin, 6-1, 6-2 as Jonathan Farm topped Moises Numa, 6-2, 6-2. Nichols fought off Lafayette, 6-3, 6-4 in the No. 5 spot while Van Tilburg registered a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Justin Albert. In the No. 1 slot, Kamergorodsky outlasted Pang, 6-2, 3-6, 10-6, to post Babson's lone point of the match.
MIT vs. Babson College
Final Team Score: MIT 8, Babson 1
1. Ken Van Tilburg/Kevin Pang (MIT) def. Alex Kamergorodsky/Brian Lafayette (BAB), 8-6
2. Brian Wee/David Iba (MIT) def. Moises Numa/Justin Albert (BAB), 8-2
3. Peden Nichols/Samuel Harmatz (MIT) def. Ken Lin/Taylor Dutton (BAB), 8-1
1. Alex Kamergorodsky (BAB) def. Kevin Pang (MIT), 6-2, 3-6, 10-6
2. Ken Van Tilburg (MIT) def. Justin Albert (BAB), 6-4, 6-3
3. Brian Wee (MIT) def. Ken Lin (BAB), 6-1, 6-2
4. Samuel Harmatz (MIT) def. Austin Conti (BAB), 6-0, 6-1
5. Peden Nichols (MIT) def. Brian Lafayette (BAB), 6-3, 6-4
6. Jonathan Farm (MIT) def. Moises Numa (BAB), 6-2, 6-2