April 30, 2006
Wheaton College Sports Information
NORTON, Mass. - The MIT men's tennis team advanced to its eighth consecutive New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Tournament championship match after the top-seeded Engineers downed No. 4 United States Coast Guard Academy, 5-0 in Saturday's semifinal round at Norton Middle School. Now 11-2, MIT will face host No. 2 Wheaton College in the championship. Coast Guard completed its season at 10-7.
As the only team to win the NEWMAC Tournament title in the league's first seven seasons, MIT improved to 15-0 in tournament play while outscoring opponents, 64-0. The Engineers got out to a 1-0 lead as a pair of doubles teams recorded victories to earn a point for MIT. Evan Tindell and Thomas Dohlman notched an 8-3 win at No. 1, while Said Francis and Jonathan Farm, making their first post-season appearances, corralled an 8-0 decision at the third slot.
In singles, MIT recorded four straight-set victories, collecting the decisive fourth point as the fifth match was wrapping up. Eric Beren and Melvin Makhni picked up the most convincing victories of the day, earning 6-0, 6-0 wins at the third and sixth slots, respectively. Tindell won at number one, 6-2, 6-1, while Peden Nichols rounded out the victors with a 6-2, 6-3 fifth-spot triumph.
U.S. Coast Guard Academy vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 5, Coast Guard 0
1. Evan Tindell/Thomas Dohlman (M) def. Matt Nakagawa/Ryan Beck (C), 8-3
2. Eric Beren/Mark Egan (M) vs. Thomas Brittingham/Dan Lavinder (C), Halted
3. Jonathan Farm/Said Francis (M) def. Cheryl Hickey/Lynn Schrayshuen (C), 8-0
1. Evan Tindell (M) def. Matt Nakagawa (C), 6-2, 6-1
2. Thomas Dohlman (M) vs. Ryan Beck (C), Halted
3. Eric Beren (M) def. Cheryl Hickey (C), 6-0, 6-0
4. Mark Egan (M) vs. Thomas Brittingham (C), Halted
5. Peden Nichols (M) def. Dan Lavinder (C), 6-2, 6-3
6. Melvin Makhni (M) def. Lynn Schrayshuen (C), 6-0, 6-0