May 2, 2008
MIDDLEBURY, Vt. - The MIT men's tennis team advanced to the second round of the NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Tournament with a 5-0 win over Salem State College at Middlebury College on Friday afternoon. The Engineers (14-5) will take on the host Panthers at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday.
MIT took a 3-0 lead early with wins in all three doubles contests. Peden Nichols and Jonathan Farm quickly posted an 8-3 decision in the No. 3 position. Eric Beren and Ken Van Tilburg along with Kevin Pang and David Iba outlasted their foes, 8-6 and 9-7, respectively. The Engineers claimed the first set in all six singles matches, with Van Tilburg defeating Rob Thomas, 6-0, 6-0, in the No. 2 slot. Iba sealed the match in the No. 6 position with a 6-1, 6-2 victory Brian Carlson.
Salem State College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 5, Salem State 0
1. Eric Beren/Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Adrien Malosse/Rob Random (S), 8-6
2. Kevin Pang/David Iba (M) def. Rob Thomas/Kyle Watson (S), 9-7
3. Peden Nichols/Jonathan Farm (M) def. Alexander Eisath/Brian Carlson (S), 8-3
1. Eric Beren (M) vs. Adrien Malosse (S), 6-4, 1-0 (Halted)
2. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Rob Thomas (S), 6-0, 6-0
3. Kevin Pang (M) vs. Rob Random (S), 7-5, 2-1 (Halted)
4. Peden Nichols (M) vs. Kyle Watson (S), 6-1, 3-2 (Halted)
5. Ryan Castonia (M) vs. Alexander Eisath (S), 6-1, 5-2 (Halted)
6. David Iba (M) def. Brian Carlson (S), 6-1, 6-2