May 3, 2008
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - MIT's postseason run came to an end following a 5-0 loss to host Middlebury College in the second round of the NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Tournament on Saturday. The Engineers closed their campaign with a final record of 16-6.
The Panthers established a 3-0 lead following doubles play. Eric Beren and Ken Van Tilburg fell by a margin of 8-2 in the top spot as Peden Nichols and Jonathan Farm were edged out, 9-7. The final doubles match saw Andrew Lee and Chris Mason of Middlebury earn a 9-8 (8) win in a tie-breaker over Kevin Pang and David Iba.
Andrew Thomson defeated Pang, 6-1, 6-1, in the No. 3 singles slot. Andrew Peters defeated Nichols by the same score in the No. 4 position to clinch the match.
MIT vs. Middlebury College
Final Score: Middlebury 5, MIT 0
1. Filip Marinkovic/Andrew Thomson (Midd) def. Eric Beren/Ken Van Tilburg (MIT), 8-2
2. Andrew Lee/Chris Mason (Midd) def. Kevin Pang/David Iba (MIT), 9-8 (9)
3. Rich Bonfiglio/Andrew Peters (Midd) def. Peden Nichols/Jonathan Farm (MIT), 9-7
1. Eric Beren (MIT) vs. Andrew Lee, 7-6 (3), 1-0 (Halted)
2. Filip Marinkovic (Midd) vs. Ken Van Tilburg (MIT), 6-2, 5-1 (Halted)
3. Andrew Thomson (Midd) def. Kevin Pang (MIT), 6-1, 6-1
4. Andrew Peters (Midd) def. Peden Nichols (MIT), 6-1, 6-1
5. Ryan Castonia (MIT) vs. Rich Bonfiglio (Midd), DNP
6. David Iba (MIT) vs. Peter O'Dell (Midd), DNP