May 9, 2009
MIDDLEBURY, Vt. - Skidmore College edged out MIT, 5-3, in the first round of the NCAA Men's Tennis Championship Tournament on Saturday. The Engineers closed their season with a 16-3 ledger, marking their 13th straight 10-win campaign.
The Thoroughbreds grabbed a 2-1 lead after doubles play. David Iba and Brian Wee fell to Spencer Cheng and Lorenzo Cabrera, 8-2, in the No. 2 spot while Kevin Pang and Ken Van Tilburg were defeated, 8-3. Peden Nichols and Samuel Harmatz denied the sweep with an 8-5 decision in the No. 3 position.
MIT tied the match when Van Tilburg topped Yahia Imam, 6-3, 6-1, in the No. 2 singles slot. Skidmore captured the next two matches at the No. 3 and No. 6 spots to take a 4-2 advantage. Cabrera posted a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Wee as Ethan Bond defeated Ryan Castonia, 6-2, 6-3. Harmatz narrowed the gap to one (4-3) when he cruised past Chen, 6-3, 6-1, in the No. 4 position. Luke Granger sealed the match for the Thoroughbreds at the No. 5 slot, earning a 6-4, 6-1 win over Nichols.
Skidmore College vs. MIT
Final Team Score: Skidmore 5, MIT 3
1. Carl Eric Girardin/T.J. David (S) def. Kevin Pang/Ken Van Tilburg (M), 8-3
2. Spencer Cheng/Lorenzo Cabrera (S) def. David Iba/Brian Wee (M), 8-2
3. Peden Nichols/Samuel Harmatz (M) def. Yahia Imam/Lorenzo Granger (S), 8-5
1. Carl Eric Girardin (S) vs. Kevin Pang (M), 6-3, 4-6, 3-3 (Halted)
2. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Yahia Imam (S), 6-3, 6-1
3. Lorenzo Cabrera (S) def. Brian Wee (M), 6-3, 6-2
4. Samuel Harmatz (M) def. Spencer Cheng (S), 6-4, 6-1
5. Luke Granger (S) def. Peden Nichols (M), 6-4, 6-1
6. Ethan Bond (S) def. Ryan Castonia (M), 6-2, 6-3