Sept. 27, 2007
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The MIT men's tennis team kicked off its fall campaign with a 5-3 win over Wesleyan University on Wednesday. For the third year in a row, the Engineers (1-0) posted a season-opening dual match victory.
MIT quickly established a 3-0 lead following a sweep of the doubles matches. Eric Beren and Ken Van Tilburg teamed up for an 8-4 decision in the top spot while David Iba and Ryan Castonia defeated Max Schenkein and Matt Schaff, 8-6, in the No. 3 slot. Peden Nichols and Kevin Pang outlasted their foes, 9-8 (7-2), to seal the sweep.
Pang did not drop a game as he cruised to a 6-0, 6-0 singles victory in the No. 3 position. Manuel Rivera fell, 6-0, 6-4, as Vinith Misra was defeated, 6-3, 6-2. Van Tilburg clinched the match with a 6-4, 6-3 victory in the No. 2 spot while Nichols lost, 6-1, 6-4. The No. 1 singles match featuring Eric Beren and Matt O'Connell was suspended due to darkness with the score standing at 6-7, 6-2.
MIT vs. Wesleyan University
Final Team Score: MIT 5, Wesleyan 3
1. Eric Beren/Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Matt O'Connell/Jaafar Rizvi (W), 8-4
2. Peden Nichols/Kevin Pang (M) def. Pauri Pandian/Alejandro Alvarado (W), 9-8 (7-2)
3. David Iba/Ryan Castonia (M) def. Max Schenkein/Matt Schaff (W), 8-6
1. Eric Beren (M) vs. Matt O'Connell (W), 6-7, 6-2 (suspended due to darkness)
2. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Pauri Pandian (W), 6-4, 6-3
3. Kevin Pang (M) def. Michael Frank (W), 6-0, 6-0
4. Roy Chung (W) def. Peden Nichols (M), 6-1, 6-4
5. Jaafar Rizvi (W) def. Manuel Rivera (M), 6-0, 6-2
6. Alejandro Alvarado (W) def. Vinith Misra (M), 6-2, 6-2
7. Michael Price (M) vs. Max Schenkein (W), 6-4, 6-4, 6-3
8. Stephen Powelson (M) def. Matt Schaff (W), 6-4, 6-3