Oct. 4, 2008
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – In the inaugural meeting between both programs, the MIT men’s tennis team posted a 5-4 victory over visiting Salve Regina University on Saturday. The Seahawks (0-1) established a 2-1 edge following doubles play, but the Engineers (2-0) countered by winning four singles matches to clinch the team victory.
Salve Regina’s Andrew Martin and Trey Van Buskirk held off Kevin Pang and David Iba, 8-6, in the top doubles spot. Ken Van Tilburg and Brian Wee captured MIT’s lone doubles point by defeating Stephen Boreen and Charles Normington, 8-6, in the next slot. Steve Masso and Collin Cunningham wrapped up doubles play with an 8-5 decision over Peden Nichols and Samuel Harmatz.
Pang led off singles action with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Martin in the No. 1 position. Van Buskirk topped Van Tilburg, 6-2, 6-4, in the next spot while Wee defeated Boreen, 6-3, 6-2. Nichols notched a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Normington in the No. 4 slot while Masso outlasted Ryan Castonia, 3-6, 6-2, 10-6. Harmtaz closed out the day for MIT with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Cunningham in the No. 6 spot.
MIT’s fall season will conclude on Wednesday, Oct. 8 when it hosts Bentley College. Next up for Salve Regina will be a road match at Stonehill College on Saturday, Oct. 11.
Salve Regina University vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 5, Salve Regina 4
1. Andrew Martin/Trey Van Buskirk (S) def. Kevin Pang/David Iba (M), 8-6
2. Ken Van Tilburg/Brian Wee (M) def. Stephen Boreen/Charles Normington (S), 8-6
3. Steve Masso/Collin Cunningham (S) def. Peden Nichols/Samuel Harmatz (M), 8-5
1. Kevin Pang (M) def. Andrew Martin (S), 6-2, 6-1
2. Trey Van Buskirk (S) def. Ken Van Tilburg (M), 6-2, 6-4
3. Brian Wee (M) def. Stephen Boreen (S), 6-3, 6-2
4. Peden Nichols (M) def. Charles Normington (S), 6-1, 6-2
5. Steve Masso (S) def. Ryan Castonia (M), 3-6, 6-2, 10-6
6. Samuel Harmatz (M) def. Collin Cunningham (S), 6-2, 6-0