MIT 3, Lesley University 0 (25-4, 25-7, 25-5)
MIT 3, Emerson College 0 (25-19, 25-15, 25-12)
- Records: MIT (9-3); Lesley (0-4); Emerson (3-1)
- Location: Boston, Mass. (Bobbi Brown and Steven Plofker Gym)
- The Lead: In a battle of local foes, MIT swept Lesley University (25-4, 25-7, 25-5) and Emerson College (25-19, 25-15, 25-12) in a men's volleyball tri-match hosted by Emerson on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED – MATCH ONE vs. Lesley:
- MIT scored 14 of the first 15 points of the opening set before running away with a 25-4 victory.
- The Engineers jumped out to a 9-2 lead in the second stanza, prompting a timeout by Lesley. Once action resumed, the Lynx earned their third and what proved to be their final kill of the match. However, MIT mounted a 15-2 run to reach set point. A pair of errors extended the frame for Lesley but a serving miscue ended the late spurt.
- MIT picked up the first six points of the third set en route to a comfortable 25-5 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- MIT had a .509 hitting performance and racked up 20 aces in the first meeting between former conference foes since 2011.
- Junior Tom Leech (Meadville, Pa.) paced the Engineers with a match-high 10 kills to go along with two blocks while classmate Andrew Hall (Lynnfield, Mass.) tallied eight kills, five ace, and two blocks. Freshman Colton Stearns (Los Altos, Calif.) recorded six aces and four digs as senior Suyash Fulay (Wexford, Pa.) posted five aces and four digs. Sophomore Parker Hall (Lomita, Calif.) led all players with eight digs while freshman Michael Kulinski (New Lenox, Ill.) totaled 25 assists and five digs.
HOW IT HAPPENED – MATCH TWO vs. Emerson:
- Emerson inched out to a 3-2 lead in the first set but MIT responded with an 8-2 run. An exchange of points followed until the Engineers scored four in a row to go up 17-9. The Lions replied with four straight points to stay within striking distance as they later found itself trailing 21-17. MIT went on to score four of the last six points to capture the win.
- Holding a 7-5 lead in the second stanza, a kill by sophomore Skyler Kaufman (Needham, Mass.) ignited a 10-2 run. Emerson chipped away at the deficit, using a block to come within six (18-12). The Engineers replied with a 7-2 burst to close out the set.
- Following a back-and-forth start to the third frame, the Lions crept out to an 8-6 lead. After a timeout by the visitors, MIT rattled off six straight points to reclaim the lead. Emerson recorded the next two points but this was as close as it would get as the Engineers mounted a 13-2 run to finish off the match.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Freshman Thomas Nelson (San Ramon, Calif.) paced MIT with 10 kills to go along with seven digs while Kaufman posted eight kills and three blocks. Junior Tavish Smith (Laguna Beach, Calif.) chipped in six kills as sophomore Yize Dong (Moraga, Calif.) notched 26 assists and three blocks. Fulay and senior Jordan Lucier (Torrance, Calif.) rounded out the back row with eight and six digs, respectively.
- MIT opens up United Volleyball Conference action on the road at nationally-ranked #10 Nazareth College on Saturday, Feb. 11. The Engineers will also face conference foe Bard College later in the day.