Courtesy of Bates College Sports Information
LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates College women's tennis team stayed
unbeaten and defeated MIT for the first time since at least 1998 by
a 7-2 score.
Bates (4-0) set the tone by prevailing in close matches at all three doubles matchups. Sophomore Meg Anderson (Cohasset, Mass.) and senior Alex Piacquad (Yardley, Pa.) edged MIT's Leslie Hansen and Anastasia Vishnevetsky 8-6. First-years Ashley Brunk (Phoenix, Ariz.) and Nicole Russell (Boca Raton, Fla.) won by the same score at second doubles over Melissa Diskin/Bianca Dumitrascu, and sophomore Erika Blauth and first-year Katie Helfgott (Newton, Mass.) downed Jen Rees and Jenny Dohlman 8-5 for a 3-0 lead heading into singles play.
Winning their singles matches for the Bobcats were Anderson at second singles, Brunk at fourth singles and senior Jean Gulliver (Falmouth, Maine) at No. 6 singles.
MIT next plays at Wellesley College as part of the Wellesley Invitational on Saturday, April 3, at 9 a.m.
Bates 7, MIT 2
1. Meg Anderson/Alex Piacquad (Bates) def Leslie Hansen/Anastasia Vishnevetsky (MIT) 8-6
2. Ashley Brunk/Nicole Russell (Bates) def Melissa Diskin/Bianca Dumitrascu (MIT) 8-6
3. Blauth/Helfgott (Bates) def Jen Rees/Jenny Dohlman (MIT) 8-5
1. Hansen (MIT) def Piacquad (Bates) 6-3, 6-3
2. Anderson (Bates) def Vishnevetsky (MIT) 6-3, 6-4
3. Dumitrascu (MIT) def Helfgott (Bates) 6-0, 6-5
4. Brunk (Bates) def Diskin (MIT) 6-2,6-0
5. Blauth (Bates) def Hillary Jenny (MIT) 6-2, 6-0
6. Gulliver (Bates) def Dohlman (MIT) 6-2, 6-1