CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – After a tough 9-0 loss to Tufts, MIT
women’s tennis bounced back today to sweep the Cougars of
Clark University, 9-0, this afternoon in the duPont Tennis Bubble.
Originally scheduled to be played at Clark, the match was relocated
to accommodate the rainy weekend weather.
Despite injury and illness that kept MIT’s pair of Leslie Hansen and Anastasia Vishnevetsky off the courts, the Engineers held strong over Clark. Sonya Mahkni and Hillary Jenny picked up their first win as a team in the #3 doubles spot. On the singles side, Jenny Dohlman, Kerry Weinberg, and Mahkni all notched their first individual wins of the season.
MIT (2-2, 2-1 NEWMAC) continues NEWMAC play on the road against Wellesley College on Tuesday, October 6, at 5 p.m. Clark (2-8, 0-4 NEWMAC) faces conference foe Mount Holyoke Tuesday at 4 p.m.
1. Anisa McCree/Alex Hall (MIT) def Julia Bergeron/Andrea Nathan (CLK) 8-6
2. Jenny Dohlman/Kerry Weinberg (MIT) def Emily Schweitzer/Phoebe Livingston (CLK) 8-4
3. Sonya Mahkni/Hillary Jenny (MIT) def Kristen Cullity/Jenni Adams (CLK) 8-4
4. Sheena Bhalla/Caitlin Pomeroy (MIT) def Eli Marie Smedsrud/Martha Ziemer (CLK) 8-2
1. McCree (MIT) def Bergeron (CLK) 6-3, 7-5
2. Hall(MIT) def Nathan (CLK) 7-5, 6-2
3. Dohlman (MIT) def Schweitzer(CLK) 6-0, 6-2
4. Jenny (MIT) def Cullity (CLK) 6-1, 6-1
5. Mahkni (MIT) def Unknown (CLK) 6-1, 6-1
6. Weinberg (MIT) def Jakubski (CLK) 6-3, 6-0
7. Bhalla (MIT) def Ziemer (CLK) 6-7(1), 6-4, 10-7
8. Pomeroy (MIT) def Smedsrud (CLK) 6-1, 6-0
MIT 9, Clark 0