Women's Tennis Falls to NYU in Spring Season Opener
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The MIT women’s tennis team opened its spring season on Saturday by hosting New York University in the J.B. Carr Tennis Bubble. The Violets dominated the Engineers on the court, taking home a 8-1 win.
After picking up all three doubles matches, NYU ran off with five of the six singles points. MIT senior Leslie Hanson staved-off a sweep with her win at No. 1 singles [6-3, 6-2] over NYU freshman Alexa Wimes.
For the Violets (1-3), the win was their first dual-meet victory of the 2009-10 academic calendar. The Engineers (4-7) travel to Lewistown, Maine for their next match against Bates College on Saturday, March 13.
NYU 8, MIT 1
1. A. Wimes/F. Lee (NYU) def. L. Hansen/B. Dumitrascu (MIT); 8-3
2. L. Krups/M. Mijovic (NYU) def. M. Diskin/H. Jenny (MIT); 8-4
3. E. Stachtiaris/A. Sultan (NYU) def. J. Rees/J. Dohlman (MIT); 8-1
1. Leslie Hansen (MIT) def. Alexa Wimes (NYU); 6-3, 6-2
2. Elizabeth Stachtiaris (NYU) def. Bianca Dumitrascu; 6-4, 6-0
3. Flora Lee (NYU) def. Melissa Diskin (MIT); 6-2, 6-3
4. Lena Krups (NYU) def. Hillary Jenny (MIT); 6-1, 6-0
5. Lisa Mijovic (NYU) def. Kerry Weinberg (MIT); 6-3, 6-0
6. Ariel Sultan (NYU) def. Sheena Bhalla (MIT); 6-3, 6-2