Women's Tennis Drops Two in N.Y. Roadtrip
Portions courtesy of Vassar College Sports Information
POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. – The MIT women’s tennis team was hit with a pair of losses in its final two road games of the season, dropping Saturday’s 7-2 decision to Skidmore College before losing in a 9-0 sweep by No. 22 Vassar College on Sunday.
On Saturday, the Thoroughbreds opened competition by taking all three doubles matches. Melissa Diskin and Bianca Dumitrascu fought hard in the No. 2 spot, but eventually succumbed to the pair of Laura Attley and Tory Engros.
Leslie Hansen found success in the No. 1 singles position, beating Robison in three sets [6-3, 2-6, 7-5]. Dumitrascu picked up MIT’s second point in the No. 3 spot, beating Attley, 6-2, 6-3. Skidmore handily beat the Engineers in the other four singles, taking the 7-2 win and improving to 10-7 on the season.
On Sunday, the Brewers swept the doubles competition, as Nicole Pontee and sophomore Joy Backer, ranked No. 7 in the Northeast, defeated the No. 12 duo of Hansen and Anastasia Vishnevetsky, 8-4. The freshman No. 3 team of Natalie Santiago and Melanie Horn cruised to an 8-1 victory in just their third match playing together. The closest doubles match came at the No. 2 position, as sophomore Jennifer Beckerman and Nicole Block fought off Diskin and Dumitrascu for a 9-8(7-5) victory.
In singles, Pontee, who is ranked No. 8 individually in the Northeast, faced a formidable opponent at No. 1 singles in MIT’s Hansen, ranked No. 7 in the region. With remarkable efficiency, Pontee defeated the higher-ranked Hansen, 6-0, 6-1, improving to 22-4 in singles.
After her lengthy doubles match, Beckerman found herself in a marathon of a No. 2 singles competition, but with darkness steadily coming on, she pulled out the 6-1, 7-6(7-4) win over Vishnevetsky. Backer had an impressive 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 3 singles over the hard-hitting Dumitrascu.
The Engineers return home to play their final match against Trinity College on Tuesday, April 20. Prior to the match seniors Hansen, Anisa McCree and Kerry Weinberg will be recognized for their dedication and contributions to the MIT women’s tennis program.
Skidmore 7, MIT 2
1. D. Robison/N. Mendoza (SK) def. L. Hansen/A. Vishnevetsky
2. L. Attley/T. Engros (SK) def. M. Diskin/B. Dumitrascu (MIT) 8-5
3. R. Loeb/B. Trimble (SK) def. J. Dohlman/H. Jenny (MIT) 8-4
1. Leslie Hansen (MIT) def. Danika Robison (SK) 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
2. Rachel Loeb (SK) def. Anastasia Vishnevetsky (MIT) 6-0, 6-1
3. Bianca Dumitrascu (MIT) def. Laura Attley (SK) 6-2, 6-3
4. Nataly Mendoza (SK) def. Melissa Diskin (MIT) 6-3, 6-1
5. Brittany Trimble (SK) def. Hillary Jenny (MIT) 6-0, 6-1
6. Jordan White (SK) def. Jenny Dohlman (MIT) 6-4, 6-1
Vassar 9, MIT 0
1. N. Pontee/J. Backer (VC) def. L. Hansen/A. Vishnevetsky (MIT), 8-4
2. J. Beckerman/N. Block (VC) def. M. Diskin/B. Dumitrascu (MIT), 9-8(7-5)
3. N. Santiago/M. Horn (VC) def. A. McCree/H. Jenny (MIT), 8-1
4. E. Anderson/J. Ruther (VC) def. J. Rees/K. Weinberg (MIT), 8-4
1. Nicole Pontee (VC) def. Leslie Hansen (MIT), 6-0, 6-1
2. Jennifer Beckerman (VC) def. Anastasia Vishnevetsky (MIT), 6-1, 7-6(7-4)
3. Joy Backer (VC) def. Bianca Dumitrascu (MIT), 6-2, 6-3
4. Natalie Santiago (VC) def. Melissa Diskin (MIT), 6-4, 6-3
5. Jennifer Ruther (VC) def. Hillary Jenny (MIT), 6-0, 6-0
6. Nicole Block (VC) def. Jenny Dohlman (MIT), 6-2, 6-0
7. Elizabeth Anderson (VC) def. Kerry Weinberg (MIT), 6-2, 6-0
8. Melanie Horn (VC) def. Anisa McCree (MIT), 8-3