Wellesley Takes 6-3 Match over Women's Tennis
By Wellesley College Sports Information
WELLESLEY, Mass. - In a re-match of last year's NEWMAC Championship battle, Wellesley tennis once again came out on top, posting a 6-3 victory over MIT on Tuesday evening at Wellesley. The Blue improve to 4-2 (3-1 NEWMAC) while MIT falls to 2-3 (2-2 NEWMAC).
In doubles, sophomore Marie Watanabe and senior Meghan Stubblebine gave Wellesley a 1-0 lead with a 8-0 win over Kerry Weinberg and Jenny Dohlman at second doubles. The Blue then stretched the advantage to 2-0 when senior Mohona Siddique and junior Jacqueline Shen paired up for an 8-6 win at first doubles over the MIT tandem of Lesie Hansen and Anastasia Vishnevetsky.
MIT got on the board at third doubles when Alex Hall and Hillary Jenny won a tough 9-7 battle over Nathalie Herman and Stephanie Chu, cutting the Wellesley advantage to 2-1.
The Blue took control of the match in singles with quick wins from Stubblebine and Shen. Stubblebine won 6-0, 6-0 over Jenny in the fifth spot while Shen was a 6-0, 6-1 winner vs. Hall at three, pushing the Wellesley lead to 4-1.
Wellesley got the deciding victory at six singles with a win from Mariya Chokova over MIT's Soyna Makhni, taking a 5-1 lead.
The Blue added to their total when Herman posted a 6-0, 6-3 victory in the fourth spot over Dohlman pushing Wellesley in front, 6-1.
MIT would secure victories at first and second singles to set the final score to 6-3. Hansen was a 6-4, 6-4 winner over Watanable while Vishnevetsky won 6-1, 6-2 over Siddique.
Wellesley returns to the courts on Saturday, traveling to Springfield for a 1 p.m. conference match. MIT next plays host to Smith College in a 1 p.m. conference battle, also on Saturday.
1. Leslie Hansen (MIT) def. Marie Watanabe (WEL) 6-4, 6-4
2. Anastasia Vishnevetsky (MIT) def. Mohona Siddique (WEL) 6-1, 6-2
3. Jacqueline Shen (WEL) def. Alex Hall (MIT) 6-0, 6-1
4. Nathalie Herman (WEL) def. Jenny Dohlman (MIT) 6-0, 6-3
5. Meghan Stubblebine (WEL) def. Hillary Jenny (MIT) 6-0, 6-0
6. Mariya Chokova (WEL) def. Soyna Makhni (MIT) 6-3, 6-0
7. Julia Cole (WEL) def. Kerry Weinberg (MIT) 8-3
8. Kerry Weinberg (MIT) def. Elena Bowen (WEL) 8-1
1. Mohona Siddique/Jacqueline Shen (WEL) def. Leslie Hansen/AnastasiaVishnevetsky (MIT) 8-6
2. Marie Watanabe/Meghan Stubblebine (WEL) def. Kerry Weinberg/Jenny Dohlman (MIT) 8-0
3. Alex Hall/Hillary Jenny (MIT) def. Nathalie Herman/Stephanie Chu (WEL) 9-7