Medford, Mass. -- New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) player of the week Lauren Quisenberry picked up the lone point for the MIT women's tennis team in a big way on Thursday in an 8-1 loss to Tufts University. The freshman Quisenberry beat senior Julia Browne at the first singles position. Browne is the defending national singles champion at the division 3 level.
Quisenberry, after taking the first game of the match, dropped the first set by a 2-6 score. Down but not out, she fought back and won the second set in a tiebreak (7-4) and then played to a 10-4 victory in the final set to complete the comeback.
Browne and Shelci Bowman had already gotten the better of Quisenberry and Julia Hsu in the first doubles contest, beating them in a tough 8-4 match. The Jumbos took all three doubles points to jump out to an early lead, with the biggest test coming at second doubles. Melissa Diskin and Katie O'Neal put up six games before bowing out.
O'Neal put up a good effort at third singles, but could not overcome Edwina Stewart, falling 4-6, 1-6. Tufts swept the second through sixth singles matches in straight sets.
The Jumbos will next play Williams College on October 9th while MIT will get back to NEWMAC action on October 2nd against Mount Holyoke College in Cambridge.
The full results from Thursday's match at Tufts University,
- Quisenberry/Hsu lost to Browne/Bowman 8-4
- Diskin/O'Neal lost to Lam/Katz 8-6
- Jenny/Rees lost to Hollender/Gann 8-0
- Dohlman/Makhni lost to Lacara/Siegel 8-0 (exhibition)
- Quisenberry def Browne 2-6, 7-6 (4), 10-4
- Hsu lost to Katz 6-1, 6-3
- O'Neal lost to Stewart 6-4, 6-1
- Dsikin lost to Hollender 6-1, 6-1
- Jenny lost to Gann 6-1, 6-0
- Dohlman lost to Lam 6-1, 6-0
- Rees lost to Bowman 6-0, 6-0 (exhibition)
- Makhni lost to Lacara 8-1 (exhibition)
- Pomeroy lost to Kimmel 8-0 (exhibition)
- Pomeroy lost to Siegel 8-0 (exhibition)