MIT Holds Off Mount Holyoke for NEWMAC Tennis Win
South Hadley, Mass. -- The Engineers women's tennis team bounced back from their first defeat of the season with a resounding 7-2 victory over the Lyons of Mount Holyoke College. The Engineers swept the doubles matches and took four of the six singles contests.
Lauren Quisenberry and Julia Hsu continued their dominance on the courts, winning both the first doubles match as well as their own singles matches. The Lyons played Sarah Moore and Natalie Hsiang at first doubles, but neither woman played singles matches, making Hsu and Quisenberry adjust to opposition they hadn't seen before. Both MIT lady did fine, giving up only four games in winning the two singles matches in straight sets.
Katie O'Neal and Melissa Diskin won at second doubles 8-5, as did Hillary Jenny and Jenny Dohlman at third doubles. However, only O'Neal was able to win her singles match, a 6-2, 6-1 sweep over Heather Richardson.
Maya Sayarath and Sarah Moore were able to secure the two points for Mount Holyoke, taking fourth and fifth singles, but Jen Rees came on to take the final point of the match, beating AnnElizabeth Konklen 10-1 in a super-tiebreaker after splitting the first two sets.
The full results are below:
MIT 7, Mt. Holyoke 2
- Quisenberry/Hsu def Hsiang/Moore 8-2
- O'Neal/Diskin def Konkel/Brower 8-5
- Jenny/Dohlman def Marifian/Sayarath 8-5
- Makhni/Pomeroy lost to Loughridge/Schneider 8-6 (Exhibition)
- Quisenberry def Han 6-0, 6-1
- Hsu def Marifian 6-1, 6-2
- O'Neal def Richardson 6-2, 6-1
- Diskin lost to Sayarath 6-3, 6-3
- Jenny lost to Moore 6-3, 6-1
- Rees def Konkel 4-6, 6-4, 10-1
- Dohlman lost to Peltier 7-5, 7-6 (1) (Exhibition)
- Makhni def Loughridge 6-4, 2-6, 10-8 (Exhibition)
- Pomeroy def Schneider 6-4, 7-6 (8-6) (Exhibition)