- Location: Cambridge, Mass .
- The Lead: In the spring opener for the No. 22 MIT women's tennis team, the Engineers defeated St. Lawrence University by a 9-0 final on Saturday afternoon to move to 1-0 on the year. MIT lost just two games in double play and took all six singles in straight sets.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT took the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles matches by 8-0 final as the first match completed was in the third spot. In that match, seniors Sonya Das (Arden Hills, Minn.) and Dora Tzeng (Fremont, Calif.) defeated Haley Sherrard and Maddie Nasch.
- In singles action, senior Elysa Kohrs (Half Moon Bay, Calif.) defeated Emily Wyman by a 6-1, 6-0 final while freshman Libby Rickeman (Wayzata, Minn.) picked up a straight-set victory over Lia Petersen at No. 2 singles. Kohrs is currently ranked No. 11 nationally in singles play, while Rickeman is ranked ninth.
- Junior Kelly Zhu (Pearland, Texas) earned a 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 3 over Caroline Reilly, along with a 6-0, 6-0 win in the No. 6 spot by freshman Marina Zhang (Garnet Valley, Pa.) as she defeated Nasch.
- MIT is back in action on Friday, March 9 as the Engineers host No. 19 Brandeis University for a 4 p.m. start in Cambridge.